Fish tank to sump conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xxmxxh1

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was thinking about converting my fish tank to a sump set up. I would like to get it drilled and piped to add a sump. Is it going to be worth it? Or is it just better to buy a new one? If any one has done one what type of set up would you recomend? E.g. Drilling the tank at the bottom or side and whats the best way to add over flow box etc

It is not all that difficult to drill a tank. Bulk Reef Supply has some good instructional videos on how to do it.

I think it is worth it - sumps are great for both biological filtration and hiding all your equipment, not to mention adding a lot of additional volume to the tank.

As for where to drill, I couldn't tell you as I have only ran a tank with the bottom drilled, a durso stand pipe, and an overflow.

1 word of caution: If the bottom of the tank is tempered glass (as they often can be) you can't drill it. In that case, you would have to drill the sides. Seems like most folks who drill their own end up going the side route anyway.

Whats the purpose of a durso standpipe? And does it syphone water on its own?

You can get an hang on back overflow if you don't want to drill your tank. Most are tempered glass on the bottom as states before. I run a CPR over flow

Back
Top Bottom