Fish Wish for 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluejam

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi gang. Well, got my 55 cycled just short of 3 weeks and all looks good. I cycled w/ 40lb LR only and a Millenium3000 HOB filter. I just spooled up an AquaC Remora PS.
I added my first subjects last night...4 hermit crabs(who are doing a great job on the brown algae).
My goal for swimmers/inverts are:

One Lawnmower Blenny
Two Ocilleris Clowns
One Hawkfish
One Longnose Butterfly...I know this may not be possible, but I really like them. I guess I could settle on a Dwarf Angel.
Two shrimp...coral banded pref.
A couple(or more) anemone.
A lttle star would be cool. What kind?
No interest in growing corals...yet.
I do plan to add each slowly, like one per month, except the clowns.

I have reg flouescent lighting(will go PC down the road).
What do you think?

I think the butterfly will eat the inverts. For shrimp just get 1 coral banded and soemthing else. If you have more than 1 cbs they will fight. I have a cbs, two fire shrimp, two cleaners and probably 12 peppermints in my 225 and they all pretty much ignore each other.

Good luck with your tank.

I would wait a while on the Butterfly, need a mature tank.
If your not doing a reef check out some Centropyge angels, especially the coral beauty. Very cool fish.
http://www.centropyge.net/
A serpent or (non green) brittle star would be cool.
Depending on which Hawk, some of your inverts may get eaten.

That was the feeling I had about the Butterfly. How about another "maybe". A sm Yellow Tang?

Will do your suggestion on the shrimp. Thanks!

How about another "maybe". A sm Yellow Tang?
Some would say OK, but I'm part of the resident "Tang Police" (joke)
IMO tangs need at least a 75 gallon.
As for shrimp, wide open.
I like Scarlet Skunk Cleaners, Fire Red Shrimp, Peppermint Shrimp, they are all great.

You can find a mated pair of coral bandeds if you wait and watch the LFS. I undestand you will see the pair a lot more than a singel. I see my single one about twice a week.

I say no on the anemone till you get some good lights and the tank is around a year old, Reg No bulbs will not cut it for an anemone. Also what type of water are you using? If you using Tap anemones are out, they are delicate creatures and heavy metals in tap water will kill them over time.
I'm with the other on the butterfly.... A small Yellow tang will be fine, just plan on trading him in when he gets bigger. I have on in my 55 for over a year and he is healthy....Won't say happy because Im sure he would rather be in the ocean :)
CBS can be mean on smaller fish... They are cool, I had one that was a killer so I took him back.
Keep doing research..... Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom