Fish Wish List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scubasteve

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is this too many fish for a 72 gallon tank w/ base rock.

3 green reef chromis
2 clowns
1 Watchman Goby
1 Auriga Butterfly

i think i could get away with the list above but i wanted to ask other's opinions so i dont mess up my tank.

Could i add a fridmani pseudochromis also??

and a bunch of inverts, which don't affect the bioload.

I think you would be ok, but you dont mention how much rock you have...as long as you have a sufficient amount, you would be fine.

around 60 lbs of rock, sorry for not mentioning that

you think it would be ok to add the pseudochromis also then?

hmm, that is not alot of rock for that size tank....if you do not have a skimmer or other means of filtration helping it out, then no..I dont think you should add more fish...it may be that if that is all the filtration you have, you are a bit overstocked now imo.

how much rock would be a good amoun tto have then?

and im not sure why the rocks affect the filtration, its not live rock so do bacteria still grow.

The only fish i have right now are the 3 chromis, i had a bunch more but my whole tank crashed everything died so i had to start all over, luckily the bio filer stayed up.i'm just tryin to get a sense of how many i can add.

What other types of filtration could i add to it to help?

I attached a pic of my tank w/ the rocks, they take up quite a bit of spacei could get away with a little bit more i guess but as it is theres about 2-3 inches open in the back of the tan, maye 4 across the front

I was not aware that you had other means of filtration. If you have a large wet/dry then the prospective fish are fine. If you had JUST the rock that is a different story, that is why I asked about your filtration. IF you had just rock, then you would have needed about 100-140 lbs. Even though you have baserock in there, it will ultimately turn into liverock.

oh, no i have a Fluval 404 canister filter too thats filtering the water with 2 bins of bio media, 2bins of carbon, some polyfilter mixed in, and the reg mech filter pads..
haha you worried me there for a second.

Well with the fish you have to remember quantity isn't quality ( unless you're talking about Endlers) but you can get away with it......I agree with Hara. The rock will act as a brock for now but soon you'll see some changes.............So how do you fell about that huh????

true, next time i order supplies online( one or two weeks prob), i'm gnona get a powerhead to throw in the back right corner, thats the only place theres not too much flow, the filter output in the back left corner makes pretty go flow about halfway across so i figure a power head in the right side would help move water more.

You may have problems with those bubbles as well. Water splashes when the bubbles pop on the surface and when it dries it will leave piles of salt everywhere. Bubblers work great on freshwater but on my SW tanks it turned out to be a pain cleaning up the salt all the time. Maybe it was just the way I had mine set up?

nah, they are problematic,
if i took a pic of the top of my tank im sure itd look exactly like what yours did.
Salt creep all over, i'm debating taking them out, if it would prevent all the salt creep i get now it would be great. Maybe this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom