Fish Wish (list)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seafan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was thinking of what fish to get, I went to my LFS and went to make a list of fishes, and contingents fishes for my 55gal tank.
Fish
1. 2 canary/yellow wrasses or 1 small basslett.
2. 1-2 false percula clownfish.
3. 1 dwarf angel either flame angel, or coral beauty.
4. juvenile Mimic or Yellow tang.
5. Watchman goby, or other docile goby or blenny.

Inverts
1. 20 tubo snails.
2. 2 scarlet hermits or 1 brittle star.
3. Brittle star.
4. Cleaner shrimp.
5. zoo's? 6-months
6. toadstool coral? 8-12 months

On the fish, I'd suggest farm raised for the perc. Much friendlier. Think about a pistol shrimp for your watchman or other shrimp goby. Gotta make sure your rock is firmly planted if yu did the pistol. They tunnel and could cause the rocks to fall otherwise.

On the Inverts, you can probably do more hermits AND the brittle. Don't get the green. I hear they can get nasty when they get big. I got a grey one which is very docile. Or, look at some of the nice, smaller serpents - although you might not see'm much. I'd suggest 3 cleaner shrimp. They seem to do better in numbers and come out more.

Not sure about the angel and your coral aspirations. A buddy has told me that the dwarf angels are reef friendly. Other says no angel is guaranteed reef safe. How 'bout some 'shrooms?

Good luck.

False percs suck go with a cinnaclown!!!!!I just got one and he a big faker! He plays dead all the time, and then when i leave he yells "I got oyu god This portion of your post has been edited, it is in violation of the User Agreement Further violations of the User Agreement could result in removal from our community."

:roll:

remember where you are saltynewb. This is a public place. Many of our members are youngsters.

anyways, back to the topic:

Your list looks good, but I would go with about a dozen to 20 tiny blue leg hermits for the best results.also, add the clowns first, and the angel last. This should help keep the angel docile enough. I know nothing about wrasses so I can't help you there. ANd I would maybe consider a couple of Coral banded shrimp. they look awsome and are very fun to watch in pairs.

Many of our members are youngsters? I'd be suprised if he was over 17 himself.

-As for the dwarf angels I heard It is a 50/50 chance on them eating polyps, If I notice this behavior my LFS alows a full value exchange, and a partial money back guarantee.
-I was thinking a pistol or a mantis shrimp, but I got cut by a mantis and have been hesitant about putting one in my tank. Are ornamental mantis (mantii?) shrimp similar to the green mantis we have in Florida?
- How about some suggestion on the order of placing these fish in the tank? I know your supposed to place the most aggressive fish last.

oooo i dont know about that mantis, they can be pretty nasty, to other inhabitants and to their owners... they dont call em thumbsplitters for nothing! if your really interested, hook up a 5-10g in line and put him in there. i think the pistol shrimp would be a much better and morei nteresing choice, esp if you got his symbiotic goby.

i would place the angel last.

seafan: I heard mantis are very nasty too!

And, any angels aren't really considered reef-safe. They're more than likely to pick at soft corals etc. They're greedy things :p

Skip the mantis and go with the pistol shrimp. I have a tiger pistol shrimp/yellow watchman goby pair and they are very entertaining to watch. I would also skip the angels if you plan to have a reef tank. I learned this the hard way. It is not really a matter of if they will nip at your corals, rather just when.

Back
Top Bottom