Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

so I found a really great deal on a 100 gallon show tank about 2 moths ago on craigslist and brought it home. I filled up the tank immediately and let the water sit in the tank for several weeks without filtration because I heard by doing so it realeases all toxic chemicals from the water without using more chemicals. After about a good 2-3 weeks later I started the filter, added kordons novaqua plus and the next day I added the salt (I'm setting up a sw aquarium.) Its been about a month since I started the filter so I tested my water and here's the results :

GH-180
KH- between 180 and 240
PH- between 8.0 and 8.5
NO2- 0
NO3- 20

I used testing strips so I dont know what the ammonia levels are at, sorry for that. My question is, Is my tank completely cycled?

Old 04-30-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hard to tell without monitoring the spike in ammonia. Did you add an ammonia source? Pure or raw shrimp? Do you have any live rock or sand? I would recommend investing in liquid test kits, they are far more accurate...

Old 04-30-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also not sure about the letting water sit to release chemicals? I have never heard of that. What chemicals? Your water should ideally be ro-di and have no chemicals at all in it...
Old 04-30-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I added some AquaBac-T (beneficial bacteria and enzyme) I had on hand. There's no sand or live rock in my tank as I was thinking of doing bare bottom..
Old 04-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

letting the water sit will stagnate it and by chemicals I just mean any chlorine that may be In the water.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I strongly suggest picking up some live rock from a trustworthy established owner. Pending how many lbs you add it will significantly cut down your cycle time.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is this your first salt water tank? Bare bottom is ok (reefers choice) what are you using for filtration? Live rock provides the best filtration for a tank, if you plan on a reef it is a must in my opinion. Beneficial bacteria needs to live somewhere (not in the water column) If you are using tap water that will lead to all sorts of problems down the track. Ro-Di is prefered or distilled of you have to.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes this is my first saltwater tank. I have a fluval 406 and a fluval 306 canister running and I don't plan on a reef tank. I was thinking of adding some live rock but i don't have the funds for it right now..
Old 05-01-2013, 12:29 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am not a big fan of canister filters for a salt tank but I believe some people use them. Make sure you are cleaning them weekly with your water changes or the nitrates will build up. The more rock the merrier and it is much much easier to put it all in when you set it up, adding later can be tricky but not impossible. What's your plans for this tank? Do you have a stock list in mind?
Old 05-01-2013, 12:56 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

the few fish I have in mind are
3-5 clownfish
1 yellow longhorn boxfish
1 emperor angel
and maybe a snowflake eel

Tags
cycle, fishless, fishless cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com