Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2006, 12:15 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would do that and stop adding ammonia for the moment....or at least a lot.

I would also suggest a control sample (from the tap) and run both at the same time.The difference between 5 and 0 with the AP test is tough to see.A second vial of known zero is a sweet thing...it makes a big difference in seeing low level nitrates.

90g SW FOWLR
50g tall fw planted at .6wpg
29g fw planted at 1.2 wpg
10g fw planted at 3 wpg cf
SCFatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:39 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had ammonia conversion that quickly also. Not to put a damper on things, but my nitrite conversion took just about forever anyway (I actually don't know how long it took for the second phase because I caved in and added Bio-Spira)

Old 07-13-2006, 09:14 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to JRagg
I had ammonia conversion in about 7 days, and the whole cycle took just under a month. I'd recommend only adding about 8-10 drops (0.5mL) per day of ammonia. Otherwise, you're going to have a cubic butt ton of nitrates when this is all over. I had over 80 nitrates at the end, and I was adding 8 drops every other day. My nitrites quickly went off scale.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:52 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

does the shrimp method work in freshwater as well? for some reason i thought that was for saltwater. perhaps just because of the way the articles i read were written.

is the pure ammonia adding a more efficient way to go?
Old 07-13-2006, 01:56 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Shrimp works for fresh water as well. The pure ammonia is easier and starts faster, with the added bonus of not having to watch a shrimp decompose in your living room.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:37 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the info!

as a follow up question, when you add your drops of ammonia, do you add them all at once or space them out over the day?

TIA
Old 07-13-2006, 02:43 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to JRagg
All at once. Doesn't really matter if you consistenly do it at the same time of day either. Doesn't matter if you skip a day occaisionally, just so long as you don't go too long without adding drops as the ammonia->nitrite bacteria may die off.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:46 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cool, thanks for the answers.

it seemed a bit daunting at first, but it seems easier than throwing fish that i would constantly worry about them dying.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:52 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What type of ammonia is being used here? I'm using a 10% solution which is still kind of strong. It only takes 1.5 mL of it to bring 29 US gallons to about 1 ppm. I'm currently dosing at that rate every 12 hrs. Which means 2ppm every day.

Ammonia readings are returning to zero within the 12 hrs, and Nitrites are currently offscale high. I have a reading of approx 5ppm of Nitrates.

Should I reduce the ammonia amounts added?
Old 07-13-2006, 09:46 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
You could drop it to 1 ppm a day. If you dilute your sample 50% in tap water (assuming tap test clear for nitrites), you can find out you nitrite reading by multiplying the result by 2. If it comes out over 6 ppm I would do a 50% water change so you dont have to wait forever for the nitrite part of the cycle to complete.

Tags
cycle, fishless, fishless cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com