Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-12-2006, 10:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to TheChad
Fishless Cycle.. Is this normal? (Pictures Inside)

Hey All,

About 2 days ago I put 4 small raw salid shrimp in our 55g tank.

The tank has 40 lbs of dry stand on the bottom, and 40 lbs of Live sand on the top.

Today I noticed that the shrimp are all coverd in a bubble, The bubble kinda looks fuzzy. (See Picture Below).

Is this normal? The tank has been set up for about a week and 1/2, but I just put the LS in about 4 days ago.

Thanks,

-TheChad
Attached Images
File Type: gif 000_0028_289.gif (222.1 KB, 33 views)

Old 02-12-2006, 10:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Florida8
LOL... ewww right?

I haven't cycled with shrimp, but it appears to be rotting and getting the funk all over it just as it should to cycle your tank

Is it stinky?

29g reef
2 ph and 1 HOB =460 gph
130watt Orbit lighting system
50+lbs lr
1 blue green chromis, domino, blue devil
6 turbo snails
1 mantis GRRRR!
Florida8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
yes its rotting mine did the same its perfectly normal
Old 02-12-2006, 10:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

umm, the tank smells normal

Does it normally rott that fast? or is the LS helping?

-TheChad
90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
the rotting was noticeable after maybe a 6-7 days for me
Old 02-13-2006, 10:18 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
4 shrimp is probably too many for a 55 gal tank IMO. The usual recommended amount is about 1 small shrimp per 30 gal. Having the extra shrimp will not speed up your cycle at all but will create higher no3 from all the nh3/no2 introduced to the tank.

I would recommend removing 2 of them and letting the other 2 rot till your nh3/no2 spike and eventually read 0 quantities. If you have any shrimp left after 5 weeks I would remove it so it doesn’t cause your no3 to go any higher. Once your tank has cycled perform a pwc of 50% and check your no3. If your no3 is still higher then 10 ppm I would perform another 20% every other day until it’s <10 ppm before adding any fish/cleanup crew.

I’d also keep your lights off during the cycle to keep algae down and add 1 large or two small fish once your cycle is complete to keep the bacteria colony you just created. I would also get a 10+ gal tank (Wal-Mart has 10gal tanks for $10) to use as a qt tank so newly acquired fish can be observed for sickness for 3+ weeks before adding to the main tank so you never have to medicate your main tank.

You could set that up now and get your first fish while the tank cycles. Keep an eye on nh3/no2 in the qt tank and do 20% pwc as needed with aerated SW mixed for 24+ hours and brought up to temp/sg/ph for the qt tank.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:37 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The size of the shrimp doesn't matter? I read alot of people using cocktail shrimp, the ones I used are small salad shrimp, that is why I used 4.

Yeah, I already have my 29g that will be my QT tank. All my Inverts that are in the tank now will be placed into the 55g once it is ready. My Copper Banded Butterfly will also be placed into the 55g once it is ready.

As you said we will then get 1-2 fish at a time and QT for 1 month.

Thanks,

-TheChad
90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:52 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Sorry, I keep forgetting that you are moving from the 29 to the 55
You are right size does matter and using raw shrimp usually gets more favored results then cooked shrimp. The 4 small salad shrimp should equivalent to 1 large or 2 regular sized cocktail shrimp so you should be fine. The photo just gave me the impression that it was a larger shrimp.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:51 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Day 4 of shrimp being in the tank, day 6 since adding 40lbs of LS.

I tested the water today: PH: 7.8, NO2: .25ppm, NO3: 10ppm, NH3/NH4: .50ppm

Does that look right?

Everything I have read always shows NH3/NH4 go up, while everything else is 0, then when NH3/NH4 peeks the NO2 starts to climb, and as it starts to ppek the NO3 starts to climb, while all others fall rapidly to 0....

Obviously my results are much different. Everything is sort of climbing together, and my NO3 seams to be climbing faster than my NO2...

So I just wanted to check in and see if we are moving along correctly, or not..

Thanks,

-TheChad
Old 02-16-2006, 10:38 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

You are right on track. Your ph will be off during the cycle so I wouldn’t worry about that too much. If it drops below 7.5 then I would add a little ph buffer to get it closer to 8.

The fact that you are showing no3 is proof that bacteria is forming to convert the nh3/no2 and also since your are still getting nh3/no2 readings I wouldn’t worry so much about “how” the bacteria is forming. I noticed the same results personally but did have a slightly higher nh3 spike of around 3 while still getting slight readings of no2/no3 even during the first week.

As long as you add your fish from your 29 in increments once your cycle is complete ie: 1 or 2 a week then the tank should be able to keep up with the increased nh3.

Tags
cycle, fishless, fishless cycle, pictures

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com