Fishless Cycle... Update...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AH-99p

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

10 days ago i started a fishless cycle in a 35gallon tank with 14kg of liverock. I used a raw, headless, peeled king prawn. During this time, i have seen the PH rise, and the ammonia + nitrites go up and down. My Nitrates have stayed stead throughout the cycle.

Today, my readings are:

Ph: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0.5
Nitrate: 160
Salt: 1.024

My water levels have dropped slightly as a result of the evaporation... i guess this is why my salt levels are still high. With regards to the nitrate, the LFS suggests that once i add a skimmer the level will drop?

As my cycle has progressed, i've seen algie die off, come back etc, i've seen many many critters and find it a joy to watch at night even though there are no fish around... yet ;)

I'd be very very grateful to anyone who could comments on the process of my cycle / the levels that i'm reading today?

It`s on the way. Probably by midweek you can do some pwc to lower your nitrates and be good to go.

thanks for the reply hackteck...

what do i need to keep an eye on to show the cycle has completed... and once i think the cycle has completed how should i go about lowering the nitrate... should i get a skimmer or do a water change to try and lower it?

when you see ammonia 0 and nitrite 0 then you should be done.i would do a 20% wc and check the levels 4-5 days later to make sure everything is still 0

Back
Top Bottom