Fishless cyclin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyanBenson

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have done a freshwater tank before. In fact it was the same tank I'm talking about right now.. The only difference is that it is now a saltwater tank with 3 8lb pieces of live rock in it! I was wandering if the saltwater cycle in any different?!
55 gallon tank, live sand as well.

Just tested my params
Ph: solid 8
Ammo: .25 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 10-20 ppm

Just tested my params Ph: solid 8 Ammo: .25 ppm Nitrites: 0 ppm Nitrates: 10-20 ppm

What are you using for a ammonia source ?
I think if you were to read anything about the nitrogen cycle they are all very close ,
You want a fairly high spike in ammonia that will convert into nitrite then for that to spike and convert into nitrate .
When ammonia and nitrite are 0 ppm you will have high nitrate ,
A few PWC ( partial water changes ) the cycle is now finished .

What are you using for a ammonia source ? I think if you were to read anything about the nitrogen cycle they are all very close , You want a fairly high spike in ammonia that will convert into nitrite then for that to spike and convert into nitrate . When ammonia and nitrite are 0 ppm you will have high nitrate , A few PWC ( partial water changes ) the cycle is now finished .
I haven't used anything for ammonia! The rock I have is already cured though and I read that I could've skipped most of the cycle that way? Im about to yes the params again and see what I have... Ill post on here afterwards!

If you're going reef, you're going to need about another 60lbs of rock. 24lbs in a 55g isn't going to cut it..... you want at least a pound per gallon, but recommended is 1.5lbs per gallon (just over 80lbs).

Just curing live rock in your tank is not enough of a cycle..... Yes, beneficial bacteria do grow to accommodate some of the die-off, but you're not culturing enough to support livestock. For that, you need to do a full fishless cycle....
Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice

If you're going reef, you're going to need about another 60lbs of rock. 24lbs in a 55g isn't going to cut it..... you want at least a pound per gallon, but recommended is 1.5lbs per gallon (just over 80lbs). Just curing live rock in your tank is not enough of a cycle..... Yes, beneficial bacteria do grow to accommodate some of the die-off, but you're not culturing enough to support livestock. For that, you need to do a full fishless cycle.... Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice

Ok! That's all the rock I could get at the moment! I will eventually get more rock to put in there cuz I do wanna go reef. So I basically just need to use my pure ammonia and dose it up to 4 ppm etc..

You can use the pure liquid ammonia, but that requires the continual testing & dosing to maintain your desired ppm, whereas the raw shrimp is drop it in & go..... For a 55, you may want to go with two shrimp.

You can use the pure liquid ammonia, but that requires the continual testing & dosing to maintain your desired ppm, whereas the raw shrimp is drop it in & go..... For a 55, you may want to go with two shrimp.

Awesome! I'm buying shrimp right now! Would you say 1 1/2 shrimp just to be safe or go for 2?

Awesome! I'm buying shrimp right now! Would you say 1 1/2 shrimp just to be safe or go for 2?

Just buy 2

They are cheap and when there is enough beneficial bacteria built what ever is left won't hurt anything .
Better to have enough than not .

Just buy 2 They are cheap and when there is enough beneficial bacteria built what ever is left won't hurt anything . Better to have enough than not .
Ok! I bought 4! My little bro love shrimp so he can eat the other 2 haha. Do I cut off the hard tail or not?

Ok! I bought 4! My little bro love shrimp so he can eat the other 2 haha. Do I cut off the hard tail or not?

No .
Put it in a stocking or mesh bag ,
Just makes picking it out and cleaning it easier when it's done

Just tested my water..

Ph: 7.8 I'm ordering API buffer max to raise it to 8.2-8.4
Ammo: close to 0 ppm
Nitrite: 1.0 ppm
Nitrate: 20-40 ppm

Just tested my water.. Ph: 7.8 I'm ordering API buffer max to raise it to 8.2-8.4 Ammo: close to 0 ppm Nitrite: 1.0 ppm Nitrate: 20-40 ppm

Don't worry about raising it yet .
Leave it alone and let it cycle .
After it's finished and you do a water change that's when you worry about
Ph ,
Cal :
KH :

The only important ones now are ammonia , nitrite , nitrate and temp .

Just tested my water.. Ph: 7.8 I'm ordering API buffer max to raise it to 8.2-8.4 Ammo: close to 0 ppm Nitrite: 1.0 ppm Nitrate: 20-40 ppm

Nature doesn't have a chance to do its thing as long as we are playing with it,
Be patient the more you play with it the longer It will take

Nature doesn't have a chance to do its thing as long as we are playing with it, Be patient the more you play with it the longer It will take

Ok! Cal is calcium I'm assuming. I have a hydrometer. Is that the same thing as testing cal?

My temp right now is 74 degrees F.

Ok! Cal is calcium I'm assuming. I have a hydrometer. Is that the same thing as testing cal? My temp right now is 74 degrees F.

Hydrometer ?
I think there is one that measures temp and salinity ( specific gravity )
They were a glass bobber type .
The hydrometer I have only test salinity ppt ( parts per thousand )
And SG ( specific gravity )
To test cal it's done with a test kit .
I'm not trying to be rude but have you researched ?
You might want to raise your temp a little to 78 .
Did you mix your own salt ?

Hydrometer ? I think there is one that measures temp and salinity ( specific gravity ) They were a glass bobber type . The hydrometer I have only test salinity ppt ( parts per thousand ) And SG ( specific gravity ) To test cal it's done with a test kit . I'm not trying to be rude but have you researched ? You might want to raise your temp a little to 78 . Did you mix your own salt ?

I have the hydrometer. (Sg and salinity)
I have a glass thermometer in my tank right now.

I thought I had done most research! This is the first time I've been informed of calcium. The API saltwater test kit I have only had ammo, ph, trites, and trates. I guess I need to get a calcium test kit! And yes, I mixed my own salt!

Ah, I need to get the reef master kit... I wasn't planning on adding coral right away though.. I was gonna go about a month with a FOWLR tank and use that month to do more research on coral and what is needed. Do I still need to test calcium with a FOWLR tank?
Right now my sg is at 1.023

Back
Top Bottom