Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have done a freshwater tank before. In fact it was the same tank I'm talking about right now.. The only difference is that it is now a saltwater tank with 3 8lb pieces of live rock in it! I was wandering if the saltwater cycle in any different?!
55 gallon tank, live sand as well.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just tested my params
Ph: solid 8
Ammo: .25 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 10-20 ppm

Old 10-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBenson View Post
Just tested my params Ph: solid 8 Ammo: .25 ppm Nitrites: 0 ppm Nitrates: 10-20 ppm
What are you using for a ammonia source ?
I think if you were to read anything about the nitrogen cycle they are all very close ,
You want a fairly high spike in ammonia that will convert into nitrite then for that to spike and convert into nitrate .
When ammonia and nitrite are 0 ppm you will have high nitrate ,
A few PWC ( partial water changes ) the cycle is now finished .
Old 10-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmckoy View Post
What are you using for a ammonia source ? I think if you were to read anything about the nitrogen cycle they are all very close , You want a fairly high spike in ammonia that will convert into nitrite then for that to spike and convert into nitrate . When ammonia and nitrite are 0 ppm you will have high nitrate , A few PWC ( partial water changes ) the cycle is now finished .
I haven't used anything for ammonia! The rock I have is already cured though and I read that I could've skipped most of the cycle that way? Im about to yes the params again and see what I have... Ill post on here afterwards!
Old 10-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you're going reef, you're going to need about another 60lbs of rock. 24lbs in a 55g isn't going to cut it..... you want at least a pound per gallon, but recommended is 1.5lbs per gallon (just over 80lbs).

Just curing live rock in your tank is not enough of a cycle..... Yes, beneficial bacteria do grow to accommodate some of the die-off, but you're not culturing enough to support livestock. For that, you need to do a full fishless cycle....
Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice
Old 10-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranque View Post
If you're going reef, you're going to need about another 60lbs of rock. 24lbs in a 55g isn't going to cut it..... you want at least a pound per gallon, but recommended is 1.5lbs per gallon (just over 80lbs). Just curing live rock in your tank is not enough of a cycle..... Yes, beneficial bacteria do grow to accommodate some of the die-off, but you're not culturing enough to support livestock. For that, you need to do a full fishless cycle.... Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice
Ok! That's all the rock I could get at the moment! I will eventually get more rock to put in there cuz I do wanna go reef. So I basically just need to use my pure ammonia and dose it up to 4 ppm etc..
Old 10-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oops, just read the article! I'll go get some raw shrimp today!
Old 10-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You can use the pure liquid ammonia, but that requires the continual testing & dosing to maintain your desired ppm, whereas the raw shrimp is drop it in & go..... For a 55, you may want to go with two shrimp.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranque View Post
You can use the pure liquid ammonia, but that requires the continual testing & dosing to maintain your desired ppm, whereas the raw shrimp is drop it in & go..... For a 55, you may want to go with two shrimp.
Awesome! I'm buying shrimp right now! Would you say 1 1/2 shrimp just to be safe or go for 2?
Old 10-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBenson View Post
Awesome! I'm buying shrimp right now! Would you say 1 1/2 shrimp just to be safe or go for 2?
Just buy 2

They are cheap and when there is enough beneficial bacteria built what ever is left won't hurt anything .
Better to have enough than not .

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com