Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-05-2008, 02:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

fishless cycling question?

I started my 55 gal FOWLR tank last week with 65 lbs of cured live rock from the LFS. (Really nice large pieces I might add!). 4 days ago I added 1 large raw shrimp too begin the cycling process. I tested for ammonia today and it is still registering 0 ppm. How long should it take for ammonia levels to start registering? Is it possible that since the LR was already cured that it is able to handle the biolode of the shrimp already? Nitrites are also showing 0 ppm.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is very possible that the live rock is able to handle the amount of ammonia being given off by the shrimp. As the decaying process picks up sopeed perhaps the ammonia might climb a bit higher.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

It's possbile. What does the shrimp look like? Is it decaying?
I would check the ammonia and nitrate levels daily now looking for any rise in values.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:56 PM   #4

The shrimp has turned a more opaque color (as if it were slightly cooked) and has definately started to breakdown. Also, a couple small bristle worms from my live rock have been knawing at it. A might also add that I have seen quite a few pods swimming around and on the glass when the lunar lights are on.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd expect it to take 3 days or more until you start seeing a hint of ammonia. You might not see much, if any, due to the cured live rock. If you start to see an increase in nitrAtes, without any increase in ammonia and nitrites, then your live rock is truly live and you can figure you're cycled.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I would expect it to take 3 to 5 days. Be patient before you know it the cycle will be going.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:38 PM   #7

I just tested for nitrates for the first time. The reading is between 20-30ppm. Strange? Has anyone else seen this before? I added the"cured" live rock approx 30 minutes from buying it from the LFS.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:22 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds pretty possible to me! Congrats!

I live in WA state, and I got my cured LR from Premium Aquatics in Ohio (I think). Had it airport-to-airport shipped and it was probably out of the water for 18 hours max. It was still wet in soggy newspapers when I got it home. I didn't have any noticeable ammonia spike when I cycled it either, and went right to nitrates. So I'd say the critters/bacterial probably didn't even notice 30 minutes of being out of the water!

Tags
cycling, fishless, fishless cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com