Fist Saltwater Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missbrett

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
**FIRST** I am planning on setting up a 30G Bow Front and possibly a 75G Bow Front Saltwater Tank. I will probably start with the 30G and see how I do with that one. I have always had Freshwater fish but have always wanted Saltwater.

- What all would I need to get my tank set up and filled with water? I already have the tanks but that is it other then my freshwater accessories.

- What are some good choices for fish/inverts. I know some that I am interested in but would like some advice on my choices. I realize I could not get all of these fish, but they are the ones that I would like to choose from. My favourites are:

Coral Beaty Angelfish,
Flame Angelfish,
Peppermint Angelfish,
Lemon Peel Angelfish,
Blue Hippo Tang,
Clown Fish,
Lightning Maroon Clown Fish,
Longnose Butterfly,
Mandarine Dragonet,
Sixline Wrasse,
Snowflake Eel,
Yellowhead Jawfish,
Blue Spotted Jawfish,
Yellow Watchman Goby,
Blue Damsel,
Green Chromis,
Fairy/Royal Gramma Basslet,
Orchid Dottyback,
Saddle Valentini Puffer,
Black Cap Basslet,
Starfish,
Seahorse,
Anemones

And I'm open to more ideas as well if something is a great choice.

I would like to have some corals too but am not sure which ones would be best with what fish.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well most of those won't fit in a 30 but just look up the peppermint angelfish and lightning maroon prices for me...tell me if you still want one :p.

Here's a list of what would work (not all though)
The basslets, ocellaris or perculas clowns, dottyback, jawfish (need a top), gobies, blennies, cardinals, chromis, sixline wrasse, possum wrasse

Well most of those won't fit in a 30 but just look up the peppermint angelfish and lightning maroon prices for me...tell me if you still want one :p.

Here's a list of what would work (not all though)
The basslets, ocellaris or perculas clowns, dottyback, jawfish (need a top), gobies, blennies, cardinals, chromis, sixline wrasse, possum wrasse

+1 that's a pretty good rundown.

I would start with the 75g if I was you, it will be easier

The 30g will be too limiting based on your likes, so I would start with a 75g. That allows the addition of dwarf angels and bristletooth tangs and some other fish that would not work in a smaller tank. Starting with a smaller tank "to see how it does" will probably waste time and money. If the 30 does well, then so would a 75. A 75g is easier to keep constant, which is what saltwater fish need.

The 30g will be too limiting based on your likes, so I would start with a 75g. That allows the addition of dwarf angels and bristletooth tangs and some other fish that would not work in a smaller tank. Starting with a smaller tank "to see how it does" will probably waste time and money. If the 30 does well, then so would a 75. A 75g is easier to keep constant, which is what saltwater fish need.

+1 I wish I went bigger with my tanks. Now I have a bunch of small ones when I probably could have had one big one with all the money I've spent.

Bigger is always better especially for the stock you like ;)

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I think I'll end up doing the 75G instead now. Lol. Can't wait to get started.

Still want a peppermint angel or lightning maroon??? :p

I still want them but I don't want to pay the price ? I went and checked some prices today. Maybe just a maroon clown instead and stick with some other Angels. I love the dwarf Angelfish

I still want them but I don't want to pay the price ? I went and checked some prices today. Maybe just a maroon clown instead and stick with some other Angels. I love the dwarf Angelfish

The dwarf angels are awesome, I had a coral beauty for a while. Just remember though, they are territorial and a tank that size can really only have one angel.

Flames are beautiful as are coral beauties and lemon peels. Potters are my favorite but can be picky eaters and tricky to acclimate to captivity. One would do well in a 75

Thanks!! The Coral Beauty and the Flame are my two favourites. Is two in a 75g possible or no??

Thanks!! The Coral Beauty and the Flame are my two favourites. Is two in a 75g possible or no??

Possible, potentially. Advisable? No. Different fish do have different personalities, but that being said angels are by and large a fairly aggressive territorial fish. Two angels living together long term would definitely be untypical.

Thanks!! I would rather be safe with one then sorry with two. Also in my search today I found I really like the butterfly fish as well. Would a angelfish and a butterfly fish be okay together. One of the small ones not the larger ones. Thanks again for the advice!!

I definitely will be using the 75g

For fish I recommend you to check liveaquaria.com you can find some good info there

Okay excellent!! I love them!! It's going to be a tough decision on which ones I pick.

Just be aware many butterflies don't adapt to captivity very well. Make sure the one you get is eating before you buy it.

Back
Top Bottom