Flame hawkfish and shrimp??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 3" flame hawkfish in my tank with several peppermint shrimp and have not had a problem. I just ordered more peppermint and cleaner shrimp. Does anyone have a flame hawk in there tanks with shrimp. I know some larger hawkfish will eat inverts but he is small and full grown will only be 4" Am I safe or should I move him to one of my other tanks?

I`ve never had one but several websites say that they will eat the inverts. Including live aquaria

I checked out liveaquaria. On the summary of hawkfish it says that but many of the hawkfish get larger than the flame does. Under the flame description it says
Use caution when adding to an aquarium with small species of bottom dwelling gobies and blennies
liveaquaria also says it is semi-aggresive? It is probably the most passive fish in my tank.
Anyone else have input

liveaquaria also says it is semi-aggresive

What was live aquaria smoking when they typed that up?

They are the most friendliest fish in my tanks.

I have heard all hawkfish, will attempt to have a bite of invert shrimp, but have not tried to intro any to the tank with the hawk in. He is currently in a tank with a pistol shrimp and has not eaten it.

I think it all comes down to the individual fish IMO, 50/50 chance

Brenden said:
Looking at my hawkfish's size I do not see how he could eat a shrimp
He may not be able to eat it all at once, but could mortally wound it. I had a small purple pseudochromis~1.5-2" take a large chunk out of a cleaner shrimp's tail leaving it immobile and defenseless, after them being together for some time. A green brittle star I had at the time ended up taking it out of it's misery(the shrimp). Those websites don't post that info w/ out reason :wink:

I had a pixie hawk that ate a cleaner shrimp within 12 hours of the shrimp being introduced into the tank, I had no idea I was dropping the poor little thing to it's doom. The hawk also loved to divebomb my diamond boby but the goby was too fast to get caught.

I will just have to watch him. He is only 2.5 to 3" long and will get 4" max. He is the most passive easy going fish in my tank. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom