Florida Dry rock for SW aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Etunes

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so here in florida you see dry fossilized coral rock EVERYWHERE. It is not a uncommon thing to see in Florida. You can find some like the ones below. So it is just dead, fossilized coral so i ask you if this would be okay to use in a SW aquarium for dry rock? Since the biggest fact about doing SW is the price and this would save a ton (since it is free).

coralrock.jpg

Check with the Dept. of land and Natural resources to see how much and where you can pick rock like that. Some places, Hawaii comes to mind, has a 25# a day per resident limit. and yes if you can that would be fine as base-rock.

Thanks, just doing this alone will save me 100+ dollars. Also just from the people i know here in Florida and just from what they have in there yard i would have enough but i will make sure to do that. My brother just bought a new house and they have tons of i just sitting in the corner of there yard that they want to get rid of. And then i figured i could go diggin around Florida in rock pits and what not and find pieces of coral rock that are interesting lookin.

That`s great rock to use because of all the holes in the rock and it provides mor surface area because of that. Insides those holes should provide good places for anerobic bacteria that will help to get rid of nitrates. They like low flow and less aerated areas.

Etunes, just be sure that if you get the coral away from the beach area that no one has sprayed them with poison or some other chemical.
PS: as far as size is that a VW is see parked on top of that rock? :)
MY bad...it's a real beatle.............

Etunes, just be sure that if you get the coral away from the beach area that no one has sprayed them with poison or some other chemical.
PS: as far as size is that a VW is see parked on top of that rock? :)
MY bad...it's a real beatle.............

LOL might need to do some drilling and blasting. Tunes where in Fl are you?

Regardless if you collect these rocks or not, you will have to do something to them before you use them. In my opinion, since you do not know what already could be living in there or what may have DIED in there.. i would suggest bleaching the rock. It will kill off anything that is living in there, and any bacteria that may be in there from decaying matter. I would also agree with thincat on the fact that people may be spraying that area with pesticides or something else. It's not really uncommon for them to do that. So i would definitely bleach the rock that you collect.

Actually that's a great idea super-duty. Never really thought of it that way. Would definitely get the gunk and grime out of all the cracks and crevices. I have a power washer too.. and man that thing packs a punch lol.

I can see a new company in the works! Baserock by Etunes and Co. ;)

LOL might need to do some drilling and blasting. Tunes where in Fl are you?

I live on the west coast in lehigh. It is close to Ft.Myres and Cape Coral. Thats is exciting i found someone in Florida that is a fish fanatic. I see you are near Cocoa Beach.

Cool, i know a friend with a pressure washer that i could use then i will soak and scrub them. All florida is is a giant dead reef. That is how Florida was formed so it is everywhere, even where there is no ocean. I will make sure i don't collect it near the beach. That is a smart idea thincat, i could provide fill for building and fish tanks.

You know I live in South Carolina and our beaches are nothing but mud and oyster rakes. Wish I had something like that here.

I live on the west coast in lehigh. It is close to Ft.Myres and Cape Coral. Thats is exciting i found someone in Florida that is a fish fanatic. I see you are near Cocoa Beach.

Cool, i know a friend with a pressure washer that i could use then i will soak and scrub them. All florida is is a giant dead reef. That is how Florida was formed so it is everywhere, even where there is no ocean. I will make sure i don't collect it near the beach. That is a smart idea thincat, i could provide fill for building and fish tanks.

Yes I am inland 10 miles from Cocoa Beach.

jessicasmarine I am surronded by salt water rivers and if I hade the urge to get rock and such it would not be to hard. I can tell you this if there was a high demand for mangrove seeds I could be a rich man lol.

I use about 6-7 mangrove trees as part of my filter system. Right after my skimmer unit.

I will in mine hear soon. When I am fishing I could pick up 100 plus in no time and I see them selling for $5.00 each of more plus shipping lol.

I am sure they do. I see them floating every where so I am sure that is how they migrate the just float around untill they land on the shore and the start growing.

Ya, down here at the beaches/brackish water rivers you see these little pod things that kinda looks like little green cigars. I am finding more and more things that i can get free because i live in Florida.

I use about 6-7 mangrove trees as part of my filter system. Right after my skimmer unit.

How deep of a sandbed do you have? How much room do you need for them? 6/7 in one of those small chambers in your sump?

Hey guys!

Tunes...I live in Orlando..so not to far from the cocoa beach guy! WE should all maybe meet us or something and go rock gathering or something haha!

Back
Top Bottom