Flow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pjones0221

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay so I've been playing with my flow for sometime now, and would like to hear how others fair.

Should their be a time when there is no flow in the tank? How quickly should my timer be switching between sides? What type of strength should I have?

I have an 180 gallon 6 foot tank.

Four power heads, two on each side. One large and one small.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416356276.297722.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416356285.460507.jpg

They are hooked up to a hydor smart wave controller.

I feel like my fish and soft corals are being blow away. And my anemones are as well.

Right now I have my pumps off in order to try and get my anemone to settle on a spot, and not be blown around the tank like a leaf in a tornado. And with the pumps off all the fish are out and about, but the coral seem lifeless.

Man flow is tricky.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416356582.745882.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416356597.835248.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416356679.863575.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

i would do one on the lower back right, one on the upper back left, and one on each side at different levels. the goal is no dead spots and randomness.

i would do one on the lower back right, one on the upper back left, and one on each side at different levels. the goal is no dead spots and randomness.

Like so? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416357554.606358.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416357563.938207.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416357572.770774.jpg

Should they all be on at the same time? Or how long in between switches? Should the more powerful one be on top?

Like so? View attachment 256097View attachment 256098View attachment 256099

Should they all be on at the same time? Or how long in between switches? Should the more powerful one be on top?

That all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I'd first aim to avoid any deadzones where food, poop, algae, and everything else will gather up. I know this has been a constant battle in my 55, to where I've beaten the flow to death with several powerheads...to include 2 MP40's even. Way overkill, but managed to almost my liking.
Now, when it comes to achieving this, every tank is different as every scape is different. One thing that has helped out in my system is having a powerhead in the middle of the tank, shooting out towards the glass at some angle. This will help create a more chaotic flow towards things, which is something that both coral and fish enjoy.

I want to have a solid reef tank with a combination of hard and soft corals. My problem now is both my anemones are being stupid picky which is my biggest frustration at the moment. Most of my fish seem to hide in the back corner which also pisses me off. I'm debating rearranging the tank even though I really like the layout.

Just been an irritating process. Which is funny because I thought lighting was my biggest issue.

That all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I'd first aim to avoid any deadzones where food, poop, algae, and everything else will gather up. I know this has been a constant battle in my 55, to where I've beaten the flow to death with several powerheads...to include 2 MP40's even. Way overkill, but managed to almost my liking.

Now, when it comes to achieving this, every tank is different as every scape is different. One thing that has helped out in my system is having a powerhead in the middle of the tank, shooting out towards the glass at some angle. This will help create a more chaotic flow towards things, which is something that both coral and fish enjoy.

Okay so the new set up as of now.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416365511.976754.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416365520.810443.jpg

As you can see it kicked up a lot of crap ?

i meant on the back wall of the aquarium, and its all up to you. observe the tank for deadspots and adjust.

I think that's what you meant...

See above photos

Back
Top Bottom