Flow question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

milhous3er

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it possible to have too much flow in a tank. I have a 38 gallon tank, and 2 koralia 2 PHs, a CPR bak pak2 skimmer and had a HOB filter to remove debris in tank. Is this too much ?? I found my fish last night hovering at the top of the tank it what looked like a low flow area, right below and between the HOB and skimmer retrurns.

It doesnt sound like too much. Are you turning phs off at night to let fish sleep. That is what I would recommend

I haven't turned off the PHs when they sleep. I asked this on my first tank to the owner at an old LFS and he laughed at me. He said "well they don't turn off the powerheads while they sleep in the ocean" so I don't turn them off. What I will try to do is turn them off while they eat.

They do turn off in the ocean. Its called tides. Most people turn off ph when dark. Feeding is a common time to turn off heads too but so food can be consumed before it blows all over tank.

I never thought of it that way. I'll try this tomorrow when I feed, my new gold striped maroon wasn't too attracted to the pellets that I tried to give him yesterday or today. Went out today and got him formula 1 & 2. Hopefully she'll take some of this !!

That is not too much flow. I would not turn off all the powerheads all night. I think you will be asking for problems. mainly low oxygen.

Back
Top Bottom