Flow rate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johno757

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone. I am in the process of getting a 46 bow started and had a question about flow. Will two maxi 900's work along with my sump return? The return can run at about 450 gph with the amount of head i will have. After researching for so long i wanted to make sure i had this one covered before i get everything running. Thanks in advance for the help.

It depends... on placement how many obstacles (LR) are in the tank and how it's set up. The MJ900 is rated at 230gph. The MJ1200 is rated at 295gph. The Koralia 1 is rated 400 gph and has a wider dispersion.

Johno, it really depends on what kind of critters you plan on keeping, and how you aquascape your tank. You might want to consider a closed loop with a Oceans Motion squirt, which would give you both alternating flow, and four directions of flow to play with. The initial cost would be higher than the maxi jets, but the long term cost, if you ran it off a low amp pump, would be much cheaper, not to mention, your fish and corals would love you for it. The importance of flow in a SW is VERY understimated, because face it, the ocean is a pretty violent and turbulent place. Check out www.oceansmotions.com for some ideas.

I've got a 46 bow, and yes... 2x MaxiJet 900s would most likely give you good flow assuming you set them up appropriately, as cmor commented. I started out with 2x MaxiJet 900s in addition to the output from a couple HOB filters. In my opinion, my particular configuration was too much so I backed things off to 2x MaxiJet 600s. I switched gears after the Koralias got over their initial "issues" and I'm now using a single Koralia 2, along with the output from my HOB filters, and things seem to be OK.

Instead of 2x MaxiJet 900s, I'd maybe suggest 2x Koralia 2 units. The flow rating on the Koralias are deceptive because the output is so much more dispersed than the MaxiJets. In terms of water velocity (not flow), I'd equate the Koralia 2 to a MaxiJet 900. The Koralias have a much nice flow pattern, although the MaxiJets are inexpensive and pretty much indestructible.

Great thanks for all the advice, i think i may rethink the maxi's.

I have a 46 bow as well I have 2 hydor koralia 2's and a mag7 return pump the mag7 has great flow in the tank which I love but I slowed it down a bit with the addition of a second ballvalve that returns water back into the return pump section instead of into the tank so that there wasn't too much flowing through my refugium zone. My clownfish love surfing the waves.

Back
Top Bottom