Fluval 404 - Can I have a successful Reef Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am finally catching up to the learning curve on Reef Aquariums, unfortunately after I have made several large purchases. However, at this point I am confident that I would never have tried a reef setup if I would have had to buy a sump or any kind of ecosystem.

My Setup:

Fluval 404
37 Gallon Tall Tank
Approximately 41 lbs of LR
Approximately 30 lbs of sand
SeaClone 100 Protein Skimmer
(I need new lighting)

My question: Can I have a successful Reef Aquarium with the Fluval 404?

I now understand why it would produce a bunch of nitrates. Here is what I am thinking:

Replace all media baskets in the Fluval 404 with some type of nitrate removing media.

In this sense, I would think that with 4 baskets in the canister removing nitrates, it would at least keep nitrates to a level acceptable to corals, while my live rock and sand break down biologicals.

What do you all think? I really need advice.

Oh yes, I forgot. That would be 41 lbs of live rock with an approximate sand bed depth of 4 inches.

I now understand why it would produce a bunch of nitrates. Here is what I am thinking:

Replace all media baskets in the Fluval 404 with some type of nitrate removing media.
I wouldn't use the nitrate media until it bacame necessary, but you could leave it empty, using it for water movement and occasional carbon use. If it becmes necessary you have it available for PO4 removing media or NO3 absorbing media ;) The LR and LS will probably not have a problem with the NO3, provided you do not overstock the tank. I think it is entirely possible for you to have a successful aquarium with what you've got, although I would probably add at least one powerhead.

Wow, that is actually a relief. I thought I had made a major mistake. So, why not add the nitrate remover right away?

Also, from what I've told you, do you think I have enough LR and sand for successful biological filtration?

What types of powerheads do you suggest? What about wavemakers?

About the lighting, good question. Any suggestions?

Mike said:
Wow, that is actually a relief. I thought I had made a major mistake. So, why not add the nitrate remover right away?

You shouldn't need it. The thing is, most any media you add to the Fluval will eventually become bioactive and may produce more nitrates than the media can absorb. If you did add it, I'd change it out or recharge it on a regular basis.

Also, from what I've told you, do you think I have enough LR and sand for successful biological filtration?

My recommendation would be a minimum of 55lbs of LR with 65-70lbs being much better. The LS is great, but will probably not provide much in the way of nitrate removal unless you add enough to get the sand bed depth up to about 4". You might want to read up on DSB's and make a decision on it...you can always add more sand later if you want to.

What types of powerheads do you suggest? What about wavemakers?

I recommend Maxi Jet PH's above all others. They are inexpensive, powerful, and dependable. I don't think you can do any better than these PH's. The Natural Wave powerstrip is a good inexpensive wavemaker. Although it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the more expensive models, it will give you good wave action and will last a long time.

About the lighting, good question. Any suggestions?

Depends on what you want to keep. If you intend on having only soft corals and other inverts with low-medium light requirements, I'd go with PC lighting. The 37 is a deep tank and will experience a lot of light diffusion at the bottom of the tank. If you think you might want to keep SPS corals, anemones, and other high light inverts, MH is the only way to go IMO. Check the following sites for lighting:
www.championlighting.com
www.ahsupply.com
www.hellolights.com
www.il-solutions.com

Back
Top Bottom