Fluval Edge 12 FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tck13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone, this is my first time posting here!

I've been wanting to get started on building a fluval edge 12 FOWLR and I had a few questions and a few build proposals that I wanted to go over before I go any further.

I know there are a plethora of threads on this topic but many of them are fairly old and MANY of them have differing opinions so I thought it could help me getting a more pointed response.

This is my current wishlist:

* Fluval Edge 12 (already ordered)

* Aqueon Pro 50 Submersible Aquarium Heater (already ordered)

* 10 pounds of live rock from LFS

* 20 pounds Live sand from LFS

* Salt water from LFS

* Saltwater testkit

* Nano powerhead

With stock filter and lights for the time being.

From what I have seen from some other posts this seems like all the supplies I would need.

Maintenance schedule would be 25% water changes once a week with water from LFS for the first couple months and then possibly invest in a RODI if things are going well.

I would eventually like to turn this into a nano reef once I can save up for the lighting(namely the 18 watt ultrabrite that's fitted for the edge). I was wondering if not having the final tank lighting or any corals during the cycling period is a bad idea if I plan on adding them(lights/coral) within the first month?

Questions:

* Is this a decent set up?

* Is my plan of action and supply list decent? What should I ABSOLUTELY add to this?

* Where will I run into complications(besides the edge being a crappy first salt tank as many have said)?

*What are the small things I'm forgetting about here? Please be nit picky.

Thanks for any and all help!

Sounds like a good start. You don't want corals in the tank while it's cycling. The light won't matter during cycling.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Have you ever had a Edge tank? They are incredibly difficult to work in and cleaning the glass will be a huge inconvenient chore to do it well. Probably need the magnet glass cleanersYou will likely need to invest in appropriately long tools for moving and adjusting things. Just keeping them as a FW tank is a pain! I have a 12 FW now and another 12G sitting in the middle of my LR waiting for a build (FW). I love them though. Fair warning on extra effort and work to keep it nice. But that said...such a beautiful tank ;)

Do lots, and lots of research, don't trust anything the lfs tells you, especially about how XXX fish will be fine in a 12G tank especially the sizes of fish once grown. Fish don't just grow to the size of the tank and stay healthy. Double check all info you get from lfs.

12G is a limiting tank for fish selection.

Did I mention reading, and research? :)

I agree check out liveaquaria.com they have a nano section of fish just for smaller tanks. Go slow and have fun. Starting a tank is the best part.

I agree check out liveaquaria.com they have a nano section of fish just for smaller tanks. Go slow and have fun. Starting a tank is the best part.

Thanks for the heads up that site seems really neat. they have a clown fish listed as a good nano pet... How would a clown fish, goby, and a pistol shrimp fair in a 12 gallon?

Amphiprion Percula not Ocellaris Clownfish.

No you'd want Amphiphiron ocellaris, percula get rather chunky fast. I wouldn't do one in that tank though. Dimensions don't give a lot of room to swim

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the correction, the one I meant / was thinking of was Clarkii because of how much larger they get but then also the swimming area is another consideration, good point on that.

I gotcha, yeah clarkiis get massive and are mean!!! Lfs I used to work at had one that was pushing 5" and would bite the crud out of your hand lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I loved my clarkie he got to about 6 inch I miss that guy, yes they do get huge but not as big as my yellow banded maroon clown , now he could be a full coarse dinner.
no on a clown in that tank live aquara says 20g but that's pushing it 30g would be minimum IMO

Back
Top Bottom