Fluval Edge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trhea

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im about to start a Fluval Edge Saltwater tank its about 6 gal any stocking ideas?? or Advice?

I was going to try that with salt... but there are a few things that my lfs said that made me go with a regular one....
1. Lighting is not very good.... That means you couldent get any corals...
2. They are only 5 or 6 gallon tanks that is enough space to support 1 small fish..
3. They are very hard to clean because of the permanent glass cover that goes over the back...
4. No room for a protein skimmer....
5. Filter isn't very good for fresh or salt water...
Those are just some things that I have herd about them.. I looked into it but then I bought a 28 gallon bowfront off of craigslist ... It was stocked and cycled it work perfect

Small gobies and sexy shrimp for stocking suggestions.
Advice: don't do it, lololol. I've pretty much given up on mine because of the lighting. If you plan on doing more than really low-light softies for coral, good luck.

Edit: Response to above:
You can do corals, you just need to do small adjustments and have low ambitions. They're not that difficult to clean unless you have a large amount of rock or huge hands. The filter is the most widely suggested HOB.. And a lot of people don't think a 6 gallon needs a protein skimmer.

If you are reasonable with your intentions for the tank, it's not bad. But if you want high light corals and big fish, don't do it.

I started with a nano tank, an 8 gal Fluval Ebi. Before I knew it, i had bought so many things trying to modify it and make it appropriate to slatwater that if I has spent the money from the beggining getting a better tank, I would have gotten a better, nicer and more efficient tank. Yes the Fluval tanks look nice, but they are for freshwater...get yourself a nice 20 gal and get it started the right way! :)

Thanks for the advice everyone i'll have to reconsider

Back
Top Bottom