Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #121
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm not sure but I don't feed any of my tanks once a day at most i feed in the morning and evening every 2 or 3 days for me but my 6 gallon specifically I feed prolly once every 4 days maybe 5

Old 04-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #122
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow ok so maybe I'll cut back a little more then and see how it goes. I dont think I'd be able to do 4 or 5 days though. I feel like that's borderline stunting growth no?

Old 04-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #123
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishN00b83
Wow ok so maybe I'll cut back a little more then and see how it goes. I dont think I'd be able to do 4 or 5 days though. I feel like that's borderline stunting growth no?
It's not from feeding. It's from waste. Their poop breaks down into ammonia and the bacteria break the ammonia down into nitrite and so on. The problem is that there isn't enough bacteria in your tank which means your cycle wasn't over.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #124
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim

It's not from feeding. It's from waste. Their poop breaks down into ammonia and the bacteria break the ammonia down into nitrite and so on. The problem is that there isn't enough bacteria in your tank which means your cycle wasn't over.
The reason for me asking was because I was dropping 2-3 ppm of ammonia to 0 in 24 hours, so technically I was done. My nitrites are constantly 0 so I wouldn't say it wasn't over. I was thinking maybe a mini cycle or maybe a complete crash (which I'm really hoping its a mini cycle...I did fishless for a reason).

The ammonia was .25 before the water change a few days ago, and it still is .25 a few days later. It's not rising or falling, so I'm kind of confused as to what could be goin on.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #125
Fish R friends, not food!

Could there be a dead fish or something in there that is causing the ammonia????
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #126
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman
Could there be a dead fish or something in there that is causing the ammonia????
No I just put a clown, 1 fireshrimp, 2 snails, and a dwarf hermit crab in the tank...everything is still alive and well
Old 04-17-2012, 12:24 AM   #127
Aquarium Advice Addict

The problem IMO is that way too much was added at once. The tank had barely completed the cycle before you added quite a large bioload given the size of the tank. Marine tanks, especially small ones, are much different than FW tanks of similar size. Nothing good happens quickly and it is imperative to take one's time to minimize the possibility of wonky parameters, tank crashes, etc.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:02 AM   #128
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by severum mama
The problem IMO is that way too much was added at once. The tank had barely completed the cycle before you added quite a large bioload given the size of the tank. Marine tanks, especially small ones, are much different than FW tanks of similar size. Nothing good happens quickly and it is imperative to take one's time to minimize the possibility of wonky parameters, tank crashes, etc.
I disagree with this. These tanks are no different then bigger ones, little changes are just magnified. Every tank is basically the same, you're trying to keep a balanced Eco system. A lake operates the same as an ocean, the ocean is just bigger and the lakes are more sensitive to change.

Are far as the bio load I didn't think it was too much. My clown is just an inch long, the shrimp is 3/4", the hermit and the snails are just 1/4". The only things that are producing a lot of waste right now is the clown and the shrimp, and they are so small.

Ill just keep testing twice a day and see what happens. If I keep getting the same results, I'm goin to assume my tank is cycled and start to add coral next week.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:09 AM   #129
Aquarium Advice Addict

But the problem here is, if there was enough bacteria, they would've already eaten the ammonia.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:13 AM   #130
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim
But the problem here is, if there was enough bacteria, they would've already eaten the ammonia.
My ammonia could be 0 right now. The Freshwater master kit is 100x easier to read when it comes to low ammonia. The saltwater test is borderline impossible unless it's 1ppm+...they all look so close.

Tags
fluval, fluval edge, nano, nano reef, reef, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com