Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #141
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
If your water quality is good I would leave the media in the filter (I assume your running it right now) and pick up another one to be a fuge. Eliminate the risk of lower water quality and still get a fuge.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:45 PM   #142
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I had a small fuge on my 20g and found it really didn't do much. :-( I would keep the filtration and think about the fuge at a later time if you want.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #143
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah some people say its worth it, some say it's not...I'll wait and see what happens I guess
Old 04-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #144
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I I got a few packages today! One was the 25w nano heater I ordered off eBay. I threw the carbon out and I cut a small notch in the left side of the media basket to slide the heater in. I also cut a notch in the filter top to run the wire out.

Being that I had more room in the filter part, I cut out a small piece of a media bag, filled it with some spare bio balls and ceramic tubes, then sealed the top off by burning the tip of the bag. I rinsed it in the sink and made sure it was sealed before I put it in the filter.

I also got the two marineland 400 powerheads with the two 50w heaters for the RO water and the salt mix. The only things missing now are the float switch (should be here early next week) and the mini jet 606 that I hope to pick up tomorrow. After next week all hardware mods should be done and hopefully I get to start putting some corals in the tank!

Oh I forgot to mention that in the package was instant ocean reef crystals (50g bag). I think I have everything I need now.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #145
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

O man nothing better then getting parcels sounds like a fun day
Old 04-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #146
Aquarium Advice FINatic

After talking to a few people I think I'm going to remove all the filter media and fit as much LR in the filter as possible. Apparently the filter media will catch all the free floating crap, produce nitrates, and stop there. If I put the LR in from my understanding it will break down the nitrate to nitrogen gas and be lifted out of the tank.

I only have 4 lbs of LR right now, so I'm thinking of buying another 8 pounds of cured rock and maybe put it all in a tub full of sw and see if I get any die off. If I dont I'll just take all the media out of the filter and stuff as much as I can in there. The rest I'll put in the tank.

For catching the free floating crap in the tank, I'll just use a filter pad and clean it after feedings and water changes. Does this sound like a good plan?
Old 04-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #147
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I went to the LFS and bought 2.5lbs of LR. I took all the media out and I fit as much as I could into the filter, the rest I just put in the tank. I put a pad in the filter outlet and it's running now. I haven't noticed any drop in clarity, so hopefully it stays that way. The guy at the store told me the I shouldn't notice any die off because I just put 2.5lbs in and it is cured rock already, so I'll be testing for the next few days to make sure.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #148
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Saturday I put in the LR. Saturday night I noticed a small spike in ammonia and I was about to do a water change (it was .5), but I decided to dose prime and leave it for the night. I got home last night and checked the levels and the ammonia dropped to 0. I'll keep checking this week, but I think I had minimal die off.

I do have a question about my clownfish though. Ever since I got him I've noticed when the lights are on, he sits in the corner and really doesn't move, even with the moonlights on. Once I turn them off, he's all over the tank swimming around, playing in the powerhead, swimming through the tunnels, going nuts. Once the lights go back on, back in the corner. What could this be? It's so weird it's almost like he's afraid of the light lol. Is there anything I can do?
Old 04-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #149
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Every set of clowns that I have had always seem to prefer swimming in the back right corner during the day. At night they come to the front of the tank for some reason. lol Not sure why but thats how mine have reacted.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #150
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Haha that's funny. This clown is so strange. I mean as soon as I turn off the lights, boom he's swimming around the tank like a normal fish. Once I turn them back on, boom back to the corner.

Tags
fluval, fluval edge, nano, nano reef, reef, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com