Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #151
Aquarium Advice FINatic

AAAAAAH I just put in a small 2 headed frogspawn a little while ago. It opened up and the clown went to go check it out and it got stung?!!!! The clown instantly started convulsing and dove into the sand motionless. I thought something electrocuted him so I shut all the power off and got a net to try to move him. He was not moving at all for 2 or 3 minutes, then he finally got up and started freaking out. Now he's hiding on the other side of the frogspawn and he's breathing really fast. Is he going to make it???!!!

Old 04-24-2012, 12:25 AM   #152
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
I would give him some time and he should calm down. Just keep an eye on him.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:35 AM   #153
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The shrimp was really picking on him , to the point where I thought he was going to kill him, so I took him out of the tank. Mr wiggles was looking like he wasn't going to make it. He was laying on the sand, getting stuck to the powerhead, and almost getting eaten alive by the shrimp. I put him in. 5g bucket so he can either recover of due in peace, but I couldn't let him get ripped apart by everything in the tank. Im goin to try to feed him now, if he eats and acts normal, l put em back in the tank.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:57 AM   #154
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well it happened agin while I was working on the tank, but this time he didn't make it. Someone on the forum told me that sometimes when young clowns get hit by corals and they don't have the slime coat, they display this kind of stuff. Apparently it could of been too much for him. I got another slightly bigger one from the breeder, and I'll keep a close eye on him to make sure it wasn't anything in my tank like electrical or something else.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishN00b83
Well it happened agin while I was working on the tank, but this time he didn't make it. Someone on the forum told me that sometimes when young clowns get hit by corals and they don't have the slime coat, they display this kind of stuff. Apparently it could of been too much for him. I got another slightly bigger one from the breeder, and I'll keep a close eye on him to make sure it wasn't anything in my tank like electrical or something else.
Einstein defines insanity as doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results. Are you sure it is the best to try the clown and the coral still?
Old 04-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #156
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
It's not necessarily the same thing, when a clown touches an anemone it gets stung also. It's entirely plausible that a more mature clown will have better defenses so I think it's worth a shot. If it happens again then I would remove the coral or not get a clown. It's also entirely possible it was a sick clown, I watched my old cinnamon get stung by the carpet nem it eventually hosted and it didn't react that way so the clown in question could have been suffering from a fish form of epilepsy or something, who knows.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpuffer
It's not necessarily the same thing, when a clown touches an anemone it gets stung also. It's entirely plausible that a more mature clown will have better defenses so I think it's worth a shot. If it happens again then I would remove the coral or not get a clown. It's also entirely possible it was a sick clown, I watched my old cinnamon get stung by the carpet nem it eventually hosted and it didn't react that way so the clown in question could have been suffering from a fish form of epilepsy or something, who knows.
That's true! good luck.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #158
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hopefully it works out this time
Old 04-25-2012, 06:02 PM   #159
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just added 125ml of Purigen with "The Bag" into the HOB filter. So I have the LR rubble, the nano 25w heater and the Purigen. Im guessing after a few months I'll be able to take the Purigen out and just let the LR do the complete nitrogen cycle (converting nitrAtes to nitrogen gas), but I thought this would be a good nitrAte vacuum until that happens.

The clown (unofficially named Rocket via the GF) is SO ACTIVE. I cant believe how much this one likes to play in the power head. The breeder said this one is a fully matured male, so he doesnt think he will get any bigger (time will tell). If in fact he does grow, I have the rimless tank ready to go.

I also put in a frag plug full of Zoas. They all opened up perfectly (the plug has green, red, and blue ones on it). I have it leaning on a piece of LR, so I'm hoping they will spread quick (then I can get rid of the plug all together). Ill take pictures when I get a chance.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #160
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I am starting to see these little white spots on the glass, one is kinda big. When I look through the side of the tank it almost looks like its a cylinder with a little spec in the middle. What could these things be?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-96308327.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	91079   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3910873819.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	91080  

Tags
fluval, fluval edge, nano, nano reef, reef, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com