Fluval Edge nano reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FishN00b83 said:
I know saltwater needs more stuff, which is why I'm hesitant. She really likes them though, so I'm willing to give it a shot. If I were to do this I would really like to make it look nice. Idk if soft corals are possible or not, but I would like to make it as "pretty" as possible for her.

Would one of those under gravel heaters work?

Nope SW needs sand. It's not so hard once you get the basic idea of it.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
It is risky an difficult to keep fish alive in a small tank like that, especially for someone who has zero experience in saltwater. Only very experienced saltwater fish-keepers like marquis should try it IMO.

I agree with most of what your saying but I don't agree with me being very experienced. I have a lot to learn and am so glad I found this forum to help me along but thank you for the compliment. I find the hugest problem with a lot of tanks especially nanos is people over feeding combined with not enough water changes. But I think anyone can do it plus that would be an awesome gift for your lady

Chirp said:
Are you only using the stock led lights that came with the tank? And what do you use for water circulation?

Its an older edge cube with 2 stock halogen 10 watts a clip on led nano light and a 12 inch t8 attenic... Not the best at all but it fit my budget and what I have seems to thrive under especially the yellow colony polyps which are a great low light fast growing coral

Chirp said:
Are you only using the stock led lights that came with the tank? And what do you use for water circulation?

Oops sorry I'm just using a small terrarium submersible filter

Does the tank need to be cycled before you put the corals in or is it like a freshwater tank and plants? The more I think about this the more I think I'm gonna do it for her.

FishN00b83 said:
Does the tank need to be cycled before you put the corals in or is it like a freshwater tank and plants? The more I think about this the more I think I'm gonna do it for her.

You need to cycle it before you add coral

Well, I am doing this. I went to the store and bought 8lbs live rock, 5lbs live sand, 5 gallons premixed saltwater (just to get me started), a saltwater mater kit, and a hydrometer. I rinsed the tank and filter media with tap water and threw everything in. It's a cloudy mess right now, but once it settles I'll take pictures of what I have so far.

I was talking to the owner of the LFS for about an hour and I got some really helpful information from him (I think). I would like to run it past a few of you and see what you think.

1. with the live rock, live sand, and "live" water, he said that the tank will start to cycle itself...any truth?

2. I need to change the lighting he suggested some LED bulbs and some actnic LED strips (or 50/50 strips)

3. He said he gets some clowns sometimes that are tank bred that reach max 2". If I wanted to put just 1 in the tank, with 2 shrimp, a red leg hermit crab and a snail, my tank would be fine. He said with that setup he suggests a 30% water change weekly.

4. He also said 3 corals would be more then enough. He suggested a mushroom or 2, a anemone (but I would have to watch for stinging), and he mentioned one other.

Is this information about right? He showed me one of the clowns and the shrimp (the shrimp looked awesome!). To me, knowing my bigger tank, and sizing it down...I feel like the bioload seems right, and if the clown really only gets to be 2", I dont see the problem there. Any thoughts?

He was wrong about the stocking in my opinion. The clown will not fit in a 6 gallon, it is pretty much torture. You should not put an anenome in the tank until it is very established. That means wait at least 8 months after it is done cycling, even then i would never put an agressive coral like that in a small tank, it will kill your shrimp. You can have corals and shrimp in the tank, also a clown goby. Thats pretty much it..

Well, I am doing this. I went to the store and bought 8lbs live rock, 5lbs live sand, 5 gallons premixed saltwater (just to get me started), a saltwater mater kit, and a hydrometer. I rinsed the tank and filter media with tap water and threw everything in. It's a cloudy mess right now, but once it settles I'll take pictures of what I have so far.

I was talking to the owner of the LFS for about an hour and I got some really helpful information from him (I think). I would like to run it past a few of you and see what you think.

1. with the live rock, live sand, and "live" water, he said that the tank will start to cycle itself...any truth?

2. I need to change the lighting he suggested some LED bulbs and some actnic LED strips (or 50/50 strips)

3. He said he gets some clowns sometimes that are tank bred that reach max 2". If I wanted to put just 1 in the tank, with 2 shrimp, a red leg hermit crab and a snail, my tank would be fine. He said with that setup he suggests a 30% water change weekly.

4. He also said 3 corals would be more then enough. He suggested a mushroom or 2, a anemone (but I would have to watch for stinging), and he mentioned one other.

Is this information about right? He showed me one of the clowns and the shrimp (the shrimp looked awesome!). To me, knowing my bigger tank, and sizing it down...I feel like the bioload seems right, and if the clown really only gets to be 2", I dont see the problem there. Any thoughts?

1. He's wrong about the cycling part. Get some ammonia and do a fishless cycle. If the lfs dude tries to persuade you in doing a fish-in cycle with a couple cute damsels, don't take the bait. damsels are hardy fish, but you won't want them after the cycling's complete, and they're a pain to catch in a regular tank let alone in an edge.
2. You'll only have to get additional lights if you're planning to put coral or the anemone in there. The only other thing I'd be worried about regarding the stock fluval lights is if you have the older halogen lights and the amount of heat those give off.
3. Most lfs ppl have told me that tank raised clowns get about 3-3.5" long.
4. Mushrooms are one of the faster growing corals. In the beginning, you will be able to put in a mushroom and an anemone. But you're going to run into space issues really quickly. And I don't think anemones are coral friendly.

The lfs dude is setting you up for the future when the fluval edge runs out of room and you come back to him to buy a bigger tank. Also, anemones can move, so if it stings the coral, the lfs warned you, and he's just going to say that you weren't careful.

1. He's wrong about the cycling part. Get some ammonia and do a fishless cycle. If the lfs dude tries to persuade you in doing a fish-in cycle with a couple cute damsels, don't take the bait. damsels are hardy fish, but you won't want them after the cycling's complete, and they're a pain to catch in a regular tank let alone in an edge.
2. You'll only have to get additional lights if you're planning to put coral or the anemone in there. The only other thing I'd be worried about regarding the stock fluval lights is if you have the older halogen lights and the amount of heat those give off.
3. Most lfs ppl have told me that tank raised clowns get about 3-3.5" long.
4. Mushrooms are one of the faster growing corals. In the beginning, you will be able to put in a mushroom and an anemone. But you're going to run into space issues really quickly. And I don't think anemones are coral friendly.

The lfs dude is setting you up for the future when the fluval edge runs out of room and you come back to him to buy a bigger tank. Also, anemones can move, so if it stings the coral, the lfs warned you, and he's just going to say that you weren't careful.

No he didnt try to get me to do a fish in cycle, he knows me too well to suggest that.

I do have some live rock in there now, and would like to do some corals/anemone if possible. I am trying to make this looks as nice as I can for my gf. I just need to know what will work/look best.

I want to get rid of those old hot bulbs and replace them with some LEDs, white and blue (maybe even moonlights). What do you suggest for growing some corals/anemone and whatever else is going to be in there? What corals/anemones would look nice/work?

I actually called him back regarding the stocking (again he knows me real well when it comes to this kind of stuff from my freshwater tank). He said the exact fish is a Ocellaris clown, or false clown. He assured me they dont get larger then 2-2.25" when they are tank bred. He said one of those with the rest of the stock list isn't unreasonable. I dont really like the clown fish, but I know my girl will go nuts if a nemo is in there, but if it doesnt work...whatever. Hes telling me not to worry about it though.

This 6g tank is not going to get upgraded, ever. I have a 40b that I love, and with this nano tank addition, this is WAY more then enough. Im not going to get a bigger saltwater tank, especially when I already started planning my 250 freshwater tank when we move (im getting rid of the 40b). I am only having 2 tanks, the owner knows this too...I've told him 1000 times, literally haha.

So I need LED suggestions along with any other information I might need in the next few weeks while this tank cycles.

Okay well he is wrong about the clown. I have one, the exact one he mentioned and he swims alot. If he was in a 6 gallon life would be horrible for him. The anenome is a BAD idea UNTIL your tank is 8 months old. They need an established tank, and if the parameters are bad they will die, realeasing a deadly toxin and possible kill everything in the tank. I dont know what els to say about the stocking, you will probably do whatever you want.

About the cycling, you made the right move. You can cycle a tank with live rock an it is very easy. I would throw in some mysis shrimp though, it cycles faster

Okay well he is wrong about the clown. I have one, the exact one he mentioned and he swims alot. If he was in a 6 gallon life would be horrible for him. The anenome is a BAD idea UNTIL your tank is 8 months old. They need an established tank, and if the parameters are bad they will die, realeasing a deadly toxin and possible kill everything in the tank. I dont know what els to say about the stocking, you will probably do whatever you want.

About the cycling, you made the right move. You can cycle a tank with live rock an it is very easy. I would throw in some mysis shrimp though, it cycles faster

OK I'm not disregarding what you're saying, I'm not hellbent on a clown, I honestly dont even want one. Im just repeating what he said to me. I would rather have something else not commonly seen.

As far as the anemone, again, its not something I'm determined to have....This is why I'm on the saltwater forums, to learn what works and what doesnt. If this was freshwater, I wouldnt even need to ask, but this saltwater stuff is new. Honestly my interest level in saltwater is close to none. I feel like its a lot of extra work for no reason, but I'm willing to give it a shot for my gf, she loves these things.

Anyone have suggestions on lighting mods for this tank?

Last edited by a moderator:
My biggest concern for an Edge as a reef tank (aside from the inadequate stock lighting, of which you are already aware) would be poor gas exchange from the covered tank design. I used to keep a pico softy tank in a 2.5 gallon Minibow and I ended up having to remove the lid and hang a light fixture over the tank because the pH would drop too low. Poor gas exchange will cause this. pH should be 8.2-8.4 iirc, and mine would drop into the 7's with the lid on. Problem solved once I removed it.

Two clown gobies is not a good idea IMO for a 6 gallon. Stick with one or maybe try another small "sedentary" goby like the hi fin banded.

Nu-Nu the eel said:

An anemone in ANY 6 gallon tank is a bad idea IMO, regardless of how old the tank is.

Last edited:
Well I guess I'll put the stocking on hold right now and worry about what lighting I'm going to need. I already have the live rock and sand, I just need to know what I need light wise, and what variety of corals I can put in. I have a lot of surface area for them, so I would like to get a nice covering with different kinds.

severum mama said:
Two clown gobies is not a good idea IMO for a 6 gallon. Stick with one or maybe try another small "sedentary" goby like the hi fin banded.

Two 1" fish can that aren't active at all in a 6g? I don't see any problems with that unless it's a bioload issue which also is unlikely granted he adds them at separate times.

Also you can cycle with the liverock he gave you, there will be die-off which will in turn produce ammonia. The ammonia may not be enough so you can add ammo by using pure hardware.

Also you can cycle with the liverock he gave you, there will be die-off which will in turn produce ammonia. The ammonia may not be enough so you can add ammo by using pure hardware.

I dosed 3ppm, anticipating some die off that he talked about earlier. I figured between everything thats in there right now, I should be ok for the time being.

My concern now is just the lighting. I have read that I can replace the stock lights with MR16 15LED 240 lumen lights just by giving them a little push into the socket. Would that be sufficient light for moderate light corals? I was also thinking of getting a small strip of blue LEDs for moonlights and sticking them to the light rig. thoughts?

FishN00b83 said:
I dosed 3ppm, anticipating some die off that he talked about earlier. I figured between everything thats in there right now, I should be ok for the time being.

My concern now is just the lighting. I have read that I can replace the stock lights with MR16 15LED 240 lumen lights just by giving them a little push into the socket. Would that be sufficient light for moderate light corals? I was also thinking of getting a small strip of blue LEDs for moonlights and sticking them to the light rig. thoughts?

TBH I've got no clue on fluval lighting so idk..... But check this tank out. He used mr11's

Ibrahim said:
Two 1" fish can that aren't active at all in a 6g? I don't see any problems with that unless it's a bioload issue which also is unlikely granted he adds them at separate times.

They can be territorial toward one another and may fight. A 6 gallon certainly doesn't afford them much room for territories. The OP has stated more than once in this thread that he doesn't want to have to worry about this tank. Why not take the conservative approach? You don't have to cram fish into a tiny tank just because it's theoretically possible. Just sayin.

Back
Top Bottom