Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-21-2012, 09:01 AM   #191
Aquarium Advice Addict

What you have is dinoflagellates; one of the worst things in SW aquaria. The only thing that worked for me was 0 light for 0 hours. Otherwise even if light was shortened it would grow even larger.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #192
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow that is what I had/have. I guess my reaction to pull the lights was a good idea. How long did you leave them off for? Mine have been off since Saturday afternoon and it seems to be a lot better. I was thinking of leaving them off for the rest of the day then trying to get a lot of it out during a water change when I get home. Should I leave them off longer? Where did this come from?

Old 05-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #193
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishN00b83
Wow that is what I had/have. I guess my reaction to pull the lights was a good idea. How long did you leave them off for? Mine have been off since Saturday afternoon and it seems to be a lot better. I was thinking of leaving them off for the rest of the day then trying to get a lot of it out during a water change when I get home. Should I leave them off longer? Where did this come from?
I left it off for a week. My coral suffered but since they were large they made it through. I found it comes from very low flow. Adding more powerheads helps.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #194
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah blackouts won't do much good unless they last for days I also recomend a week but I would throw a blanket over the tank so absolutly no light gets in not to peek, feed nothing
Old 05-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #195
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a koralia nano in a fluval edge pointing directly to the other corner...i doubt flow is my problem. I'll leave the lights off till Friday and then syphon all the crap out I guess.

I have 2 snails. A hermit crab and a fire shrimp in the tank, should I be worried about them at all? I know the clown will be ok, but I know inverts are sensitive.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #196
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

They will be fine and no problem going without food either I know I just about drove myself crazy when I did my blackout
Old 06-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #197
Aquarium Advice FINatic

this is really starting to frustrate me. I have gone through 2 blackouts (7 days each) with a few days in between and the dinos come back almost instantly after a water change. what else can I do? the few corals I have in the tank look like theyre taking a hit now. im about to throw this tank out the window
Old 06-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #198
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
this is really starting to frustrate me. I have gone through 2 blackouts (7 days each) with a few days in between and the dinos come back almost instantly after a water change. what else can I do? the few corals I have in the tank look like theyre taking a hit now. im about to throw this tank out the window
Forgot to say no water changes.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #199
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hah ok, well I'm gonna have to see if my corals bounce back, then I'll do the blackout again I guess. This is so crazy...
Old 06-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #200
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Hah ok, well I'm gonna have to see if my corals bounce back, then I'll do the blackout again I guess. This is so crazy...
Literally ignore your tank. No feeding, lights, WCs, nothing. If you can cover the whole tank with a sheet and if you can add another PH.

Tags
fluval, fluval edge, nano, nano reef, reef, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com