Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-26-2012, 02:06 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishN00b83
I know saltwater needs more stuff, which is why I'm hesitant. She really likes them though, so I'm willing to give it a shot. If I were to do this I would really like to make it look nice. Idk if soft corals are possible or not, but I would like to make it as "pretty" as possible for her.

Would one of those under gravel heaters work?
Nope SW needs sand. It's not so hard once you get the basic idea of it.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:36 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel
It is risky an difficult to keep fish alive in a small tank like that, especially for someone who has zero experience in saltwater. Only very experienced saltwater fish-keepers like marquis should try it IMO.
I agree with most of what your saying but I don't agree with me being very experienced. I have a lot to learn and am so glad I found this forum to help me along but thank you for the compliment. I find the hugest problem with a lot of tanks especially nanos is people over feeding combined with not enough water changes. But I think anyone can do it plus that would be an awesome gift for your lady

Old 03-26-2012, 05:40 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirp

Are you only using the stock led lights that came with the tank? And what do you use for water circulation?
Its an older edge cube with 2 stock halogen 10 watts a clip on led nano light and a 12 inch t8 attenic... Not the best at all but it fit my budget and what I have seems to thrive under especially the yellow colony polyps which are a great low light fast growing coral
Old 03-26-2012, 05:43 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirp

Are you only using the stock led lights that came with the tank? And what do you use for water circulation?
Oops sorry I'm just using a small terrarium submersible filter
Old 03-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Does the tank need to be cycled before you put the corals in or is it like a freshwater tank and plants? The more I think about this the more I think I'm gonna do it for her.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishN00b83
Does the tank need to be cycled before you put the corals in or is it like a freshwater tank and plants? The more I think about this the more I think I'm gonna do it for her.
You need to cycle it before you add coral
Old 03-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, I am doing this. I went to the store and bought 8lbs live rock, 5lbs live sand, 5 gallons premixed saltwater (just to get me started), a saltwater mater kit, and a hydrometer. I rinsed the tank and filter media with tap water and threw everything in. It's a cloudy mess right now, but once it settles I'll take pictures of what I have so far.

I was talking to the owner of the LFS for about an hour and I got some really helpful information from him (I think). I would like to run it past a few of you and see what you think.

1. with the live rock, live sand, and "live" water, he said that the tank will start to cycle itself...any truth?

2. I need to change the lighting he suggested some LED bulbs and some actnic LED strips (or 50/50 strips)

3. He said he gets some clowns sometimes that are tank bred that reach max 2". If I wanted to put just 1 in the tank, with 2 shrimp, a red leg hermit crab and a snail, my tank would be fine. He said with that setup he suggests a 30% water change weekly.

4. He also said 3 corals would be more then enough. He suggested a mushroom or 2, a anemone (but I would have to watch for stinging), and he mentioned one other.

Is this information about right? He showed me one of the clowns and the shrimp (the shrimp looked awesome!). To me, knowing my bigger tank, and sizing it down...I feel like the bioload seems right, and if the clown really only gets to be 2", I dont see the problem there. Any thoughts?
Old 03-26-2012, 08:51 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

He was wrong about the stocking in my opinion. The clown will not fit in a 6 gallon, it is pretty much torture. You should not put an anenome in the tank until it is very established. That means wait at least 8 months after it is done cycling, even then i would never put an agressive coral like that in a small tank, it will kill your shrimp. You can have corals and shrimp in the tank, also a clown goby. Thats pretty much it..
Old 03-26-2012, 09:17 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishN00b83 View Post
Well, I am doing this. I went to the store and bought 8lbs live rock, 5lbs live sand, 5 gallons premixed saltwater (just to get me started), a saltwater mater kit, and a hydrometer. I rinsed the tank and filter media with tap water and threw everything in. It's a cloudy mess right now, but once it settles I'll take pictures of what I have so far.

I was talking to the owner of the LFS for about an hour and I got some really helpful information from him (I think). I would like to run it past a few of you and see what you think.

1. with the live rock, live sand, and "live" water, he said that the tank will start to cycle itself...any truth?

2. I need to change the lighting he suggested some LED bulbs and some actnic LED strips (or 50/50 strips)

3. He said he gets some clowns sometimes that are tank bred that reach max 2". If I wanted to put just 1 in the tank, with 2 shrimp, a red leg hermit crab and a snail, my tank would be fine. He said with that setup he suggests a 30% water change weekly.

4. He also said 3 corals would be more then enough. He suggested a mushroom or 2, a anemone (but I would have to watch for stinging), and he mentioned one other.

Is this information about right? He showed me one of the clowns and the shrimp (the shrimp looked awesome!). To me, knowing my bigger tank, and sizing it down...I feel like the bioload seems right, and if the clown really only gets to be 2", I dont see the problem there. Any thoughts?
1. He's wrong about the cycling part. Get some ammonia and do a fishless cycle. If the lfs dude tries to persuade you in doing a fish-in cycle with a couple cute damsels, don't take the bait. damsels are hardy fish, but you won't want them after the cycling's complete, and they're a pain to catch in a regular tank let alone in an edge.
2. You'll only have to get additional lights if you're planning to put coral or the anemone in there. The only other thing I'd be worried about regarding the stock fluval lights is if you have the older halogen lights and the amount of heat those give off.
3. Most lfs ppl have told me that tank raised clowns get about 3-3.5" long.
4. Mushrooms are one of the faster growing corals. In the beginning, you will be able to put in a mushroom and an anemone. But you're going to run into space issues really quickly. And I don't think anemones are coral friendly.

The lfs dude is setting you up for the future when the fluval edge runs out of room and you come back to him to buy a bigger tank. Also, anemones can move, so if it stings the coral, the lfs warned you, and he's just going to say that you weren't careful.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirp View Post
1. He's wrong about the cycling part. Get some ammonia and do a fishless cycle. If the lfs dude tries to persuade you in doing a fish-in cycle with a couple cute damsels, don't take the bait. damsels are hardy fish, but you won't want them after the cycling's complete, and they're a pain to catch in a regular tank let alone in an edge.
2. You'll only have to get additional lights if you're planning to put coral or the anemone in there. The only other thing I'd be worried about regarding the stock fluval lights is if you have the older halogen lights and the amount of heat those give off.
3. Most lfs ppl have told me that tank raised clowns get about 3-3.5" long.
4. Mushrooms are one of the faster growing corals. In the beginning, you will be able to put in a mushroom and an anemone. But you're going to run into space issues really quickly. And I don't think anemones are coral friendly.

The lfs dude is setting you up for the future when the fluval edge runs out of room and you come back to him to buy a bigger tank. Also, anemones can move, so if it stings the coral, the lfs warned you, and he's just going to say that you weren't careful.
No he didnt try to get me to do a fish in cycle, he knows me too well to suggest that.

I do have some live rock in there now, and would like to do some corals/anemone if possible. I am trying to make this looks as nice as I can for my gf. I just need to know what will work/look best.

I want to get rid of those old hot bulbs and replace them with some LEDs, white and blue (maybe even moonlights). What do you suggest for growing some corals/anemone and whatever else is going to be in there? What corals/anemones would look nice/work?

I actually called him back regarding the stocking (again he knows me real well when it comes to this kind of stuff from my freshwater tank). He said the exact fish is a Ocellaris clown, or false clown. He assured me they dont get larger then 2-2.25" when they are tank bred. He said one of those with the rest of the stock list isn't unreasonable. I dont really like the clown fish, but I know my girl will go nuts if a nemo is in there, but if it doesnt work...whatever. Hes telling me not to worry about it though.

This 6g tank is not going to get upgraded, ever. I have a 40b that I love, and with this nano tank addition, this is WAY more then enough. Im not going to get a bigger saltwater tank, especially when I already started planning my 250 freshwater tank when we move (im getting rid of the 40b). I am only having 2 tanks, the owner knows this too...I've told him 1000 times, literally haha.

So I need LED suggestions along with any other information I might need in the next few weeks while this tank cycles.

Tags
fluval, fluval edge, nano, nano reef, reef, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com