Fluval Edge nano reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I know my GF is gonna freak when she sees a clown fish in there. I had this plan that I would just get a 20g in the next few months and just deal with the bigger tank. I started telling all this to the breeder and he starts to laugh and tells me he has a 15g rimless if I want it. So I pick up the fish and the tank tonight sometime.

The lights are off until tomorrow because i just put the clown in. I'll take pictures with the lights on tomorrow.

Is it normal for a clown to just rest on the sand? When I come to the tank it will swim up real quick and then go back to the bottom. The reason why I picked this one was because of how active it was in the tank. you think it's just getting used to its new environment?

Attachments

• image-2547818505.jpg
    image-2547818505.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 127
  • image-3087512819.jpg
    image-3087512819.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 143
I suspect it's just adjusting to the changes, it should get more active once the lights come on and start exploring.

Yeah the lights came on and its been at the top of the tank swimming since. One little thing I noticed is it has a small white thing on its right fin, where it meets the body. It's not ich, but it looks a little fuzzy. At first I thought something just got caught on it, but it hasn't gone away yet. What could it be?

Update: I tried to take some pictures but my iPhone isn't the greatest for fast moving things. I'm talking about the little white spot on the fin close to the body.

Attachments

• image-1672863401.jpg
    image-1672863401.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 109
  • image-1197492684.jpg
    image-1197492684.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 167
I'm new to saltwater so can't help much identifying it but would recommend getting a garlic immune system booster from your LFS, just soak the food in that and it may help.

I've read that this could be caused by a change in salinity or pH and is common when putting fish in new tanks. Hopefully it's nothing and it will just go away on its own. I am going to pick up some Kent Garlic extreme or seachems garlic guard this weekend.

Shrimp, hermit crab, and snails are in. The crab and snails are TINY, so I might get some other things in a week or two. The lights are off until 9pm so I'll take pictures then!

White spot on the clown has gotten a lot smaller. I guess it was just the adjustment thing I read about.

Here are some pictures...I haven't been able to get the snails and the hermit crab yet...maybe later on tonight I'll get lucky

The shrimp has his spot already, he loves to be upside down in the little cave. The clown stays in the top left corner most of the time. When it's feeling ballsy it'll go in the middle and go nuts for a few mins, but the go back to the corner haha

Attachments

• image-2774881524.jpg
    image-2774881524.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 153
  • image-441359814.jpg
    image-441359814.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 121
  • image-2529072838.jpg
    image-2529072838.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 123
  • image-4090304287.jpg
    image-4090304287.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 147
  • image-807405997.jpg
    image-807405997.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 132
  • image-1296282757.jpg
    image-1296282757.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 135
Very nice :) How are you finding the levels/maint/salinity is in such a small tank?

Levels are all stable, only because I check the water level at least once a day. As far as the salinity goes, because I check the water levels when ever I can, it's always 1.025. I am going to make a ATO or a drip system maybe next weekend so I don't have to worry about this anymore. Being that it's such a small tank a little evaporation can swing everything like crazy.

I'm sure it's frustrating. It's why I won't attempt such a small salt water tank. Lol. I wanted to do like a .5 gal with a bit of live rock with one or two hermit crabs lol.

The idea quickly was shot down :p.

MABJ said:
I'm sure it's frustrating. It's why I won't attempt such a small salt water tank. Lol. I wanted to do like a .5 gal with a bit of live rock with one or two hermit crabs lol.

The idea quickly was shot down :p.

its possible if you wanna do it don't let ppl discourage u just research a ton and try it yourself my 6 gallon has been running for over a year

Marquis said:
its possible if you wanna do it don't let ppl discourage u just research a ton and try it yourself my 6 gallon has been running for over a year

Well thanks! It's high on a list of things to try for me. I'm mastering fresh water inverts while I've got a Dorm lol.

Soo I tested the water this morning like my FW tank and I got some interesting results:

Ammonia - .25 I think
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - around 10 which I was expecting because I didn't do 100% water change before I put the clown in.

So what could this mean? I did a 25% water change and tested again a few mins later and still got .25 (I think). Could it be a mini cycle, crash, or me reading the test wrong? Does the 0 always have a hint of green or should if he that milky white when you first start shaking it?

So I did the 25% water change 2 days ago, and Ive been testing twice a day now. The test results just now were:
ammonia - .25 (I took the cap off and looked down the tube this time because anything under 1ppm with the saltwater kit is hard to read)
nitrite - 0
nitrAte - 10

clown, crab, snails, shrimp all seem fine. Everything is eating normal. I'm keeping up with the top offs (i check this when I do the tests twice a day), and my salinity is still 1.025. I know my tap water doesnt have ammonia in it, my freshwater tank never had this problem at all.

I bought a Pure-Flo II 50gpd 3 stage RO unit, and I got my first 5 gallons out of it this morning. I wont be topping off with de chlorinated tap water anymore, just the RO. I ordered the Reef Salt, 2 power heads, 2 50w heaters, a float switch, 10' of 1/2" ID tubing, 2 5g containers with the lids, and Im going to buy 2 mini-jet 606s on my way home from work. One tub is for the pure RO water with a float switch and a pump, the other tub will have the saltmix. Both will have a heater, powerhead, and a minijet with tubing leading into the tank through the back of the edge. Top offs and saltmix will be added automatically. The only thing I need to do is drain some water out before the saltmix kicks in.

Ill take pictures once I start putting all this together. My heater for the display tank hasnt shown up yet, but the tank is a steady 79 right now, has been since I filled it so I'm not terribly worried.

Anyone have a clue as to why my ammonia is staying at .25? I throw in 10-12 1mm new life spectrum pellets in the tank a day (yes i count them because I know it can cause problems), and theyre all gone within 30 seconds. Snails, shrimp and the clown go nuts...I'm not over feeding.

Back
Top Bottom