Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2012, 10:31 PM   #81
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Idk I'm just worried about the cycle and the coral right now...once I get that out of the way I'll start thinking about stock

Old 03-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #82
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Idk if you guys can see this...but it looks like something is growing out of the crack in the rock. Looks like a lil octopus or something lol...that's the only way I can describe it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-382180654.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	85815   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1055276638.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	85816  

Old 03-29-2012, 10:37 PM   #83

You probably have something like a coral or starfish hanging on for the ride! I personally don't know what it is. I can't see it lol
Old 03-29-2012, 11:10 PM   #84
Aquarium Advice Addict

Appears to be a brittle starfish to me.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:36 PM   #85
Aquarium Advice FINatic

doing some research it has too many appendages to be a starfish...I think it could be aiptasia...and from what I'm hearing, thats not such a good thing lol. Is it possible that things would start to grow in my tank even though its not cycled?
Old 03-29-2012, 11:45 PM   #86
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sorry to get off topic with your build, but MABJ, I've read that blue hermits are opportunistic eaters, I know damsels are really aggressive (although idk if it would matter b/c that would be your only fish. And I know that sexy shrimp are really small and unusual, but beautiful. If you haven's seen them you should because they are quite the eye-catchers!
Old 03-29-2012, 11:46 PM   #87
Aquarium Advice Regular

just a suggestion :P
Old 03-30-2012, 03:13 AM   #88

I see! Well I've only read threads, I know damsels bully other fish (hence the only fish)

I'm not sure what you mean by blue legged hermits? I thought they only ate leftovers/debris. Not corals/living fish.

And I love shrimp and crabs all over. Inverts are my passion :P
Old 03-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #89
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
Fishnoob, thanks so much for starting this thread! I've been wanting a tiny saltwater tank for years, but everybody but the LFS deters me from it. Once I have a permanent resident, I will most certainly be making my own pico reef.

Keep up the work! I'm following!
I'd never discourage someone from starting a nano tank. My first SW was a 2.5 gallon. It can certainly be done, and even done on a budget as mine was. I'd discourage starting it in an Edge- as I mentioned earlier in the thread, the closed design is almost sure to cause pH issues, which is what we're seeing now.

@Fishnoob83- Aren't you using aragonite sand already (your live sand that you got from lfs)? This will help buffer your water already, as well as the salt mix. Adding crushed coral probably won't do anything. The problem here IMO is the design of the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
I bet. What is the one fish? People are wrong, there are a host of nano fishes you could keep
I never said that it wasn't possible to keep a fish in this tank, only that it is a bad idea to put 2 clown gobies (which, again, can be territorial with each other) into a tank this small- and I stand by that, it's a bad idea. I think one clown goby would be fine. Another good choice IMO would be a hi fin banded goby or similar. In a tank this small you are really limited as to fish selection. Clowns and other damsels are not a good idea. Pretty much the only fish I would recommend would be small gobies that aren't very active. I personally wouldn't even stock a fish that grows to the size of a YWG, but would stick to the smallest gobies as options.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #90

Severum, none of my comments were towards you You're always very helpful and never inaccurate.

Tags
fluval, fluval edge, nano, nano reef, reef, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com