Fluval Edge nano reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishN00b83

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I've had this fluval edge I bought months ago for a dwarf puffer tank, but I just got an idea. My girlfriends birthday is next month and she really likes saltwater tanks. I was just wondering what options I would have for saltwater fish. Believe me I understand it's very limited, with freshwater it's super limited as well. Being that I'm completely clueless with saltwater tanks, I figured I'd post here and see what the possibilities are. Any info would be appreciated.

Oh also would I be able to seed this tank with my freshwater tank, or are the BBs different?

Nope freshwater bb is differant then saltwater. How big is the tank? Anything under 15 g shouldnt have a clown, and i know thats probably a fish you want. Just so you know, a small saltwater tank is probably one of the hardest tanks to care for.

The fluval edge is 6gs. I don't really have a huge interest in saltwater at all, but every time I goto the LFS with my girl she drools over saltwater tanks lol. So as far as stocking goes, it doesn't really matter to me, I'm just wondering what options I might have, if any. If the saltwater doesn't work out, a dwarf puffer tank would be cool as hell (and my girl really likes them too, so it would be ok).

My 6 gallon edge cube has a orange spotted goby black banded chromis ( temporary) I think.. I also have 2 emerald crabs 2 nassarious snails and a turbo snail. My coral includes yellow colony polyps green zoas and mushrooms

Marquis said:
My 6 gallon edge cube has a orange spotted goby black banded chromis ( temporary) I think.. I also have 2 emerald crabs 2 nassarious snails and a turbo snail. My coral includes yellow colony polyps green zoas and mushrooms

I should add this tank has been up for about a year and never lost a fish or coral

It is risky an difficult to keep fish alive in a small tank like that, especially for someone who has zero experience in saltwater. Only very experienced saltwater fish-keepers like marquis should try it IMO.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
It is risky an difficult to keep fish alive in a small tank like that, especially for someone who has zero experience in saltwater. Only very experienced saltwater fish-keepers like marquis should try it IMO.

Saltwater is that much different then freshwater? I have a high tech 40b and I haven't had any real problems from the start.

Marquis said:
Here u go few pics I took a while ago

Are you only using the stock led lights that came with the tank? And what do you use for water circulation?

FishN00b83 said:
Saltwater is that much different then freshwater? I have a high tech 40b and I haven't had any real problems from the start.

Ive playing with the idea of turning my edge into a saltwater tank too. All the YouTube vids of saltwater edges I've seen aren't sustainable in the longrun bc they all had too many fish (2-3 fish) and they were all going to get too big for the edge. If I do turn my tank into a saltwater tank, I'd only have 1 fish, 1 shrimp, 1 hermit crab, and a couple snails to control algae.

Chirp said:
Ive playing with the idea of turning my edge into a saltwater tank too. All the YouTube vids of saltwater edges I've seen aren't sustainable in the longrun bc they all had too many fish (2-3 fish) and they were all going to get too big for the edge. If I do turn my tank into a saltwater tank, I'd only have 1 fish, 1 shrimp, 1 hermit crab, and a couple snails to control algae.

Yea believe me, I'm not looking for a headache. I just want a nice looking tank on the table. It's been smooth sailing with my 40b, I'm looking for the same with this. That's why I'm trying to get as much information as possible before I make a decision.

FishN00b83 said:
Yea believe me, I'm not looking for a headache. I just want a nice looking tank on the table. It's been smooth sailing with my 40b, I'm looking for the same with this. That's why I'm trying to get as much information as possible before I make a decision.

If you do make it saltwater, you'll have to check for water parameters. In addition to ammonia, nitrites and nitrate, you'll also have to check for water salinity and ph become more sensitive. If you add in coral theres more things you'll have to check. Also water circulation becomes an additional concern so you'll have to buy a powerhead and also a heater if you don't have one now.

Ibrahim said:
I think you can do 2 clown gobies and get some awesome shrimp.

How are clown gobies? Are they as reclusive as the watchman gobies?

I know saltwater needs more stuff, which is why I'm hesitant. She really likes them though, so I'm willing to give it a shot. If I were to do this I would really like to make it look nice. Idk if soft corals are possible or not, but I would like to make it as "pretty" as possible for her.

Would one of those under gravel heaters work?

Back
Top Bottom