Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-29-2004, 04:52 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

well it all matter who and were your getting your sand !! if its true "LIVE" sand and not the stuff in the bags that say it live than you should have worms ect !! due to it only a 10 gallon tank no need to buy any stars for sure !! go with a couple of the nassarius snails imo 3-4 will do a good job stirring the sand all by them selfs !! but most dont remember that ya cant just add sand and forget about it !! i think that at least every year ya need to add a bit of new live sand to help the populations to continue!! i bring sand back everytime im in florida so not a prob when it comes to critters !!

Old 02-29-2004, 05:03 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

lol, my 10 gallon is the old one.I am moving to a 55.Hence all the checking into.Sorry for cornfusion.

Ya the stuff I get comes from there live sand culture tank.I think they sell so much then add more sand then let it go for a bit then sell more.

Thanks fur the tip on the snails I assumed the better the sand got sifted or moved a bit the better.

Just emailed a local guy selling a tank 130gl and am tring to get him to let me stop by and scoop up a few lbas of live from him for a few $ that would be great

About how long should the tank take to clear up.I turned my pump off to let it settle and such , but still cloudy as piss

Old 02-29-2004, 05:10 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

ahhhhh thats better a 10 gallon to me would be to hard !! i like to much stuff and it would be full of rock and no room for anything else heheh yea keeping the sand somewhat stirred imo is the key !!
it can take a week or two to settle if ya used the fine southdown sand !! i would leave the pumps running !! if not it will settle and then when ya turn them back on it will cloud up again !! just after it settles make sure ya pull the pumps and clean them they will be full of sand which is no good
Old 02-29-2004, 05:13 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

jes man that sounds like work, you know what we need here is a live sand co op.Where every one can trade lbs of sand from established tanks in diff areas.That to sounds like work though
Old 03-01-2004, 09:57 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

check out reefcentral they have alot of members which have a good local forum where im sure you can find a local club to join
Old 03-01-2004, 10:28 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanx man
Old 03-04-2004, 07:23 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

man you guys were not shating this sand takes forever to clear up.Still going but getting alot better
Old 03-04-2004, 09:35 AM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

The sand will settle when it's coated with bacteria. That's what makes it heavy enough to fall out of suspension and settle to the bottom. My 125 took about a week with the pumps running and some LR to seed it.

Did you add the shrimp to help the cycle move along? Adding some LR now would help with the cycle too. I'm guessing that the LR you are getting is fully cured and that's why you are adding it in small quantities over a few weeks period of time, and after the tank has cycled.

As Steve said, you want to keep the pumps running too. Otherwise when you turn them on you will get another huge sand storm.

When I set up my 125 last year I found that even after the tank had cycled I created a new sandstorm anytime I did anything in the tank. I was told by the members here that they could lift a handful of sand and it would settle in minutes. Well guess what. I can do that too now

Sounds like you are the right path, going slow
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 10:01 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

ya I added 2 raw shrimp last night and still have my pumps running. I got a lb of rubble and a few other medium size (4-6") in it. I flaked it also and put some stress zyme in it.I too hope to make the sand work:0
Old 03-08-2004, 05:47 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

almost clear finally.with pic or not it may seem

Tags
foam, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com