Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-29-2004, 02:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Foam from sand skim from top or leave?

Got 50lb of caribean,3 lbs live sand,2lb small rubble, and 1 lb large rubble (golf ball size).Anyway I had the water right and added the sand today there is quite a bit of foam, should I let it settle or scrap it off the top and disgard?

Thanx

Old 02-29-2004, 02:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
It would just scoop it off if you can. It won't hurt to leave it in but it will probably make the tank settle faster if you just get rid of it.

Old 02-29-2004, 02:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

yea pull out the foam i wouldnt of added the live sand untill the base sand had settled and the tank been cycled first !! your prob gonna lose alot of life that was in the sand imo :-(
Old 02-29-2004, 03:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

doh, I was thinking the samer thing, but hey I can get "nice nice" live sand by the single pound and I am on the hunt for local reefers to collect live sand from.The rubble and such with the live sand should be good to get it going.

Once it is pretty cycled I am gonna start adding my LR and such. And I only plan on having small fish and adding them one at a time over a extended period.That way the tanks bio can grow as needed.

Thanx for the vice,lol
Old 02-29-2004, 03:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

imo the longer ya can hold out buying fish the better for the live rock/sand !! unless ya have a fuge to grow pods
Old 02-29-2004, 04:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here is my ruff time line

weeks:

1-3 , let sand settle and start cycle with small flake etc. get the lights going and add some photo plankton.

4-8 Start adding live rock about (all from lfs (wholesaler good **** no petland stuff)) 5lbs a week

8-? Add LR and small fish until tank is complete

Hopefully adding live sand every other week or so from diff sources
Old 02-29-2004, 04:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

sounds good instead of flakes id use a raw shrimp from grocery store works great and less mess than flakes !! im not a fan of any flake food but that me !!

ohhhh yea the more source for sand AND live rock imo the better you will be !! i like to add to my tank even now if i see a piece i like i buy and just keep adding fiji/florida rock/toga ect
looks like ya have done some home work and imo as long as ya reframe from wild fish purchases your tank and rock will grow all types of things and look great even without fish i love the small pods worms ect why i set up another fuge just with lr want to see what a tank with just lr will turn out like good luck
Old 02-29-2004, 04:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Little back ground on my current 10gal. Had it for a year with about 2 lbs of live. Added a few damsels.Another 6 months added some choice LR.Now I have after all that time I have life springing from every little crack etc.. Thats what got me going again.

I had a fresh chichlid (venustus) for 4 years that from on my own bio set up. Simple added all the sponges and balls to the fluval 404 and then let it go for teh whole time with no changes.All the levels where good and the fish loved it.

I think reef/bio is the only way to go, it is the dank minut life that makes the tanks great not $300 fish , imo

I agree hand picking choice rocks is the fun.
Old 02-29-2004, 04:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

sooooo sooo agree i like the fish as well but they will do some damage on the critters !! 10 gallons hummm not many 300 fish will fit in that hehehe j/k
Old 02-29-2004, 04:43 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

So after the sand starts to become established do you think I need to add much esle to the sand besides other live sand ? Like buy(shutters) some micro sand orgs?I haven't got much into that yet

Tags
foam, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com