Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-07-2009, 02:43 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
This is the link to the thread. It is quite long but interesting.

Ziggy953's 150 Build errrr....120 Build
Good advice Spoon. I read through most of the post and what you say does make sense. The tanks are built with weight bearing in mind. Altering the way it sits could mess things up, or at least get them all wet.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:24 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm also a "don't put foam under a tank" guy, but you'll find many folks that swear it's a must. The thinking goes like this...

You need to put foam under the tank because there will be irregularities in the stand's surface that doesn't allow the tank's trim to bear 100% along the perimeter and there will be gaps. The foam fills the gaps and allows the tank to be fully supported by the stand.

I've gotten into it in another thread about this, and if I can find it again I'll post a link. But in a nutshell, that line of reasoning isn't right at all. Foam won't transfer any load in this case, but it will fill a gap.

[Edit: here's the post I was remembering... insulation pad or not? ]

Old 08-07-2009, 06:50 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
This is the link to the thread. It is quite long but interesting.

Ziggy953's 150 Build errrr....120 Build
+1, I agree it's not good for the tank as SP stated..
Old 08-08-2009, 08:03 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

I disagree with spoon; the base piece of glass is the core component and every other piece of glass is connected to it. If you had a small tank 1-2ft then most of the weight could be distributed to the edges. However once you start getting larger the whole base supports the weight. If you place a thin piece if rubber/styrene it will flatten and if you have any imperfections in the base; and you will. Must base materials are timber, expands/contracts.

I say use it!
Old 08-08-2009, 09:20 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with Spoonman, Foam underneath glass tanks is not recommended because it creates pressure points on the bottom of the glass where the base and stand mate causing the glass to crack (that's if the stand has a solid surface for the tank to rest on). Glass tanks are designed to be support by the edges, My 120 stand only supports the tank around the edges and center brace. Foam is suppose to be used when an Acrylic tank is being employed and even so it's usually only about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick, this is because the acrylic tank needs to be completely supported on the bottom.
As far as the Hydrometer is concerned i find them to be pretty much useless. I had my water checked by 4 LFS's for SG and all of the readings were different and not one matched my IO Hydrometer, mind you this was done the same day with the same water. I bought a refractometer and am now confident of MY SG. IMO ditch the HYDRO and get a refractometer, It's too important to be screwing around with a notoriously inaccurate device. I'm not willing to trust a 6 or 7 dollar device when it comes to the well being of my fish. OK I feel better now.
If you have the time, take a container of DT water to several Shops and have them measure your SG and see what they come up with. The variations I had was from 1.016 to 1.024 with mine reading 1.026, If the window was closer I would still be using the HYDRO, but since it was so great I got confused and angry with the device. I even contacted IO regarding the problem and they just re-iterated the instructions I was already following. I'm going to try what your LFS had you do just to test it out, however this wont have me using it again because they are NG and I don't want that thing floating around my tank all of the time because I check it every day.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoST View Post
I agree with Spoonman, Foam underneath glass tanks is not recommended because it creates pressure points on the bottom of the glass where the base and stand mate causing the glass to crack (that's if the stand has a solid surface for the tank to rest on). Glass tanks are designed to be support by the edges, My 120 stand only supports the tank around the edges and center brace. Foam is suppose to be used when an Acrylic tank is being employed and even so it's usually only about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick, this is because the acrylic tank needs to be completely supported on the bottom.
As far as the Hydrometer is concerned i find them to be pretty much useless. I had my water checked by 4 LFS's for SG and all of the readings were different and not one matched my IO Hydrometer, mind you this was done the same day with the same water. I bought a refractometer and am now confident of MY SG. IMO ditch the HYDRO and get a refractometer, It's too important to be screwing around with a notoriously inaccurate device. I'm not willing to trust a 6 or 7 dollar device when it comes to the well being of my fish. OK I feel better now.
If you have the time, take a container of DT water to several Shops and have them measure your SG and see what they come up with. The variations I had was from 1.016 to 1.024 with mine reading 1.026, If the window was closer I would still be using the HYDRO, but since it was so great I got confused and angry with the device. I even contacted IO regarding the problem and they just re-iterated the instructions I was already following. I'm going to try what your LFS had you do just to test it out, however this wont have me using it again because they are NG and I don't want that thing floating around my tank all of the time because I check it every day.
I think you hit the nail on the head. you have a support beam! So I think there are 2 correct answers. It all comes down to your stand and its design. solid for support!
Old 08-08-2009, 10:20 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikey View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head. you have a support beam! So I think there are 2 correct answers. It all comes down to your stand and its design. solid for support!
I bought the stand with the tank and it only supports the primeter and center support. I was going to build one but after reading around I didn't want to try (to many tanks breaking), the stand was $200 and I Made it my own.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:53 AM   #18
Fish R friends, not food!

Can you buy foam made specifically to put under an aquarium, made by an aquarium manufacurer? Are any tanks sold with foam to put under them? That should answer the question.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:46 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Can you buy foam made specifically to put under an aquarium, made by an aquarium manufacurer? Are any tanks sold with foam to put under them? That should answer the question.
I would think if the tank needed foam the manufacturer would include it with the tank. Putting a thin layer under an acrylic tank helps alleviate any pinpoint pressure spots is recommended but not necessary.

Tags
foam, hydrometer, oak, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com