Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-07-2009, 02:43 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: N. Carolina
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
This is the link to the thread. It is quite long but interesting.

Ziggy953's 150 Build errrr....120 Build
Good advice Spoon. I read through most of the post and what you say does make sense. The tanks are built with weight bearing in mind. Altering the way it sits could mess things up, or at least get them all wet.
__________________

__________________
Woody5465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:24 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: not here anymore
Posts: 5,338
I'm also a "don't put foam under a tank" guy, but you'll find many folks that swear it's a must. The thinking goes like this...

You need to put foam under the tank because there will be irregularities in the stand's surface that doesn't allow the tank's trim to bear 100% along the perimeter and there will be gaps. The foam fills the gaps and allows the tank to be fully supported by the stand.

I've gotten into it in another thread about this, and if I can find it again I'll post a link. But in a nutshell, that line of reasoning isn't right at all. Foam won't transfer any load in this case, but it will fill a gap.

[Edit: here's the post I was remembering... insulation pad or not? ]
__________________

__________________
Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:50 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
thincat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
This is the link to the thread. It is quite long but interesting.

Ziggy953's 150 Build errrr....120 Build
+1, I agree it's not good for the tank as SP stated..
__________________
Happy Reefing,
TC
thincat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:03 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
spikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 182
I disagree with spoon; the base piece of glass is the core component and every other piece of glass is connected to it. If you had a small tank 1-2ft then most of the weight could be distributed to the edges. However once you start getting larger the whole base supports the weight. If you place a thin piece if rubber/styrene it will flatten and if you have any imperfections in the base; and you will. Must base materials are timber, expands/contracts.

I say use it!
__________________
spikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:20 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
InfernoST's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 1,866
I agree with Spoonman, Foam underneath glass tanks is not recommended because it creates pressure points on the bottom of the glass where the base and stand mate causing the glass to crack (that's if the stand has a solid surface for the tank to rest on). Glass tanks are designed to be support by the edges, My 120 stand only supports the tank around the edges and center brace. Foam is suppose to be used when an Acrylic tank is being employed and even so it's usually only about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick, this is because the acrylic tank needs to be completely supported on the bottom.
As far as the Hydrometer is concerned i find them to be pretty much useless. I had my water checked by 4 LFS's for SG and all of the readings were different and not one matched my IO Hydrometer, mind you this was done the same day with the same water. I bought a refractometer and am now confident of MY SG. IMO ditch the HYDRO and get a refractometer, It's too important to be screwing around with a notoriously inaccurate device. I'm not willing to trust a 6 or 7 dollar device when it comes to the well being of my fish. OK I feel better now.
If you have the time, take a container of DT water to several Shops and have them measure your SG and see what they come up with. The variations I had was from 1.016 to 1.024 with mine reading 1.026, If the window was closer I would still be using the HYDRO, but since it was so great I got confused and angry with the device. I even contacted IO regarding the problem and they just re-iterated the instructions I was already following. I'm going to try what your LFS had you do just to test it out, however this wont have me using it again because they are NG and I don't want that thing floating around my tank all of the time because I check it every day.
__________________
Keith
120 Mixed Reef
InfernoST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
spikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoST View Post
I agree with Spoonman, Foam underneath glass tanks is not recommended because it creates pressure points on the bottom of the glass where the base and stand mate causing the glass to crack (that's if the stand has a solid surface for the tank to rest on). Glass tanks are designed to be support by the edges, My 120 stand only supports the tank around the edges and center brace. Foam is suppose to be used when an Acrylic tank is being employed and even so it's usually only about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick, this is because the acrylic tank needs to be completely supported on the bottom.
As far as the Hydrometer is concerned i find them to be pretty much useless. I had my water checked by 4 LFS's for SG and all of the readings were different and not one matched my IO Hydrometer, mind you this was done the same day with the same water. I bought a refractometer and am now confident of MY SG. IMO ditch the HYDRO and get a refractometer, It's too important to be screwing around with a notoriously inaccurate device. I'm not willing to trust a 6 or 7 dollar device when it comes to the well being of my fish. OK I feel better now.
If you have the time, take a container of DT water to several Shops and have them measure your SG and see what they come up with. The variations I had was from 1.016 to 1.024 with mine reading 1.026, If the window was closer I would still be using the HYDRO, but since it was so great I got confused and angry with the device. I even contacted IO regarding the problem and they just re-iterated the instructions I was already following. I'm going to try what your LFS had you do just to test it out, however this wont have me using it again because they are NG and I don't want that thing floating around my tank all of the time because I check it every day.
I think you hit the nail on the head. you have a support beam! So I think there are 2 correct answers. It all comes down to your stand and its design. solid for support!
__________________
spikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:20 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
InfernoST's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikey View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head. you have a support beam! So I think there are 2 correct answers. It all comes down to your stand and its design. solid for support!
I bought the stand with the tank and it only supports the primeter and center support. I was going to build one but after reading around I didn't want to try (to many tanks breaking), the stand was $200 and I Made it my own.
__________________
Keith
120 Mixed Reef
InfernoST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:53 AM   #18
Fish R friends, not food!
 
spoonman's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 3,720
Can you buy foam made specifically to put under an aquarium, made by an aquarium manufacurer? Are any tanks sold with foam to put under them? That should answer the question.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:46 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
InfernoST's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
Can you buy foam made specifically to put under an aquarium, made by an aquarium manufacurer? Are any tanks sold with foam to put under them? That should answer the question.
I would think if the tank needed foam the manufacturer would include it with the tank. Putting a thin layer under an acrylic tank helps alleviate any pinpoint pressure spots is recommended but not necessary.
__________________

__________________
Keith
120 Mixed Reef
InfernoST is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
foam, hydrometer, oak, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
soaking driftwood JPKeenan Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 6 09-10-2009 03:00 PM
Foam around edges of tank. Marconis Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 9 01-19-2007 06:18 PM
Soaking Plants Fishyfanatic Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 3 11-06-2005 02:33 PM
Just received my LR and am soaking it... 33w_fish_guy Saltwater Reef Aquaria 6 10-06-2004 08:25 PM
soaking driftwood iamaj Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 6 09-06-2003 02:23 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.