Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-02-2004, 08:56 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Some LFS do give away RO water for free. Reason for that is they want more traffics into their store. You should check around in your area.

Old 12-02-2004, 10:29 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Serge,

Did you add anything to start cycling your QT tank?

I agree that this is probably some type of algae bloom. Have you checked your tap water for phosphates? Perhaps your LFS can do this test for you.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 08:46 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi tmcpeek.

I don't know about availability of RO water, but I think that distilled water is water is available, either at the drugstore or supermarket. This could possibly temporarily resolve the foggy issue until I get the RO/DI filtering system. I agree with you that it only works for the chemical part of water not the particles floating around. Drats! The quarantine tank is not very large, 12 gallons, but it came with the basics. A marine starter kit from Big Al's: light, pump, filter with bio wheel, heater. I think it is a neat little kit and should be sufficient for a QT as I don't intend on bringing in more than one fish at a time. I also did a 25% water change, still using tap water , and adjusted the salt levels. Salinity was within the acceptable range.

To answer your inquiry, the main tank is a 125 gallons, 6 feet long. Reef ready with 4 wholes in the bottom. I plan on using one pair for the sump/filtering system, and the other pair for high level water circulation. I think it is called a closed loop.

Vote Here for Aquarium Advice
Serge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 08:53 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Did you add anything to start cycling your QT tank?
Umm... Did I miss something here?? From your question, I sense that I should have "something" in the tank to start the cycling? I thought I was only supposed to have something, like snails, in the main tank to initiate the cycling... Am I correct in assuming that I should put "something" in the QT to begin the cycle??

Thank you all for your time and ideas/suggestions! I am learning something new every time I visit in here. I go to bed less ignorant each time! 8)

Vote Here for Aquarium Advice
Serge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 10:50 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Check out this article about setting up a QT. If your QT tank is not already cycled then when you drop your new arrivals in the tank they will start the cycle there! As your main tank is not set up yet, you don't have the option of using main tank water or a filter from there for your QT. Therefore you should get the cycle going in the QT tank and have it complete before you get any livestock.

It sounds like you got a Marineland 12 for your QT. It has the carbon/filter pad and a small biowheel. That's what I use for my QT. I put the pad/filter in the main tank overflow for a several days to week before putting it into the QT so it has plenty of bacteria on the fiber material. You don't have that choice so you should get the tank cycled.

My 125 RR tank has both overflows going to the sump and back out as returns. The sump/returns are your high flow. A Fuge would be an area of lower flow. Did you tank not come with the overflow kits? AGA now offers Durso type overflow kits.

HTH,

Cmor

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fog, foggy, quarantine, quarantine tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com