Foggy Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuyeWinfield

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone!

So my tank has been up and running for about a month now, but my water still seems foggy. I have done everything that I can think of, but I am not sure if there is anything else I can try.

Here is what I have done thus far...
(BEFORE SALTING)
1. Filter has been running for weeks on end
2. Used chemicals
3. Two bags of ChemiPure in fuge, under the filter pad
4. Changed Water

Water was still foggy, so I thought maybe salting the water would help lift anythink in the tank. Before salting, I tested all of my water levels and they were spot on perfect.

(SALTED TANK)
1. Filter is still running
2. Bought snails and hermits

Tank is still cloudy! :banghead:
Any ideas or suggestions? I was thinking maybe to get a blennie or two to help clean the sand, but I am open for any advice!

Thanks in advance everyone!
(Pictures are attached so you can see what I am working with)

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 103
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 95
Have you tryed running a bag of carbon. That could help to clear it. Have ya rescaped at all that could have stirred it up. I wouldn't do a goby they need pretty established tanks to survive I learned that the hard way. I would go with nassarius snails to airate the sand. They don't stir up so much cloudiness but stir perform the same task. Plus they are really cool to watch when it comes to feeding time.

Hey Crystal!

I do have two bags of ChemiPure sitting under the filter pad in my fuge. I forgot to add that to my "already attempted" list.

When I said salted, I mean I added my salt to my setup. I used Instant Ocean sea salt.

Thanks for the help.

Hmm I don't know what it would be then. Hopefully someone else will chime in with some ideas. Other then that I guess let it take its course and change the floss often to remove any particles in the water. That's my best guess. :)

You added salt directly to your tank? As in your DT? Also did you rinse the chemi pure elite well enough? Power heads stirring up sand?

What's your filtration consist of? Example, I use chemi pure elite, phosguard and purigen. I change my filter floss 2x's a week.

How old is the tank? Maybe debris on the rocks are being kicked up?

Sorry if these were all asked before. I have more questions but we'll start here.

Last edited:
Wow wayyyyy too many questions are goin through my head about this... I'm sure Con will hook you up though. But I'll echo that, salt added to your tank? What do you mean also by before salted?? Did you premix your salt before It went into the tank? Or is it just fresh water?..???

Benamayer said:
Wow wayyyyy too many questions are goin through my head about this... I'm sure Con will hook you up though. But I'll echo that, salt added to your tank? What do you mean also by before salted?? Did you premix your salt before It went into the tank? Or is it just fresh water?..???

That's what I thinking also ^^^^

I figure I'll take this one slow and see if we can figure this out for him.

I was gonna ask that question about the salt but didn't want to come off as a moron. Lol I just always assume people premix before adding.

I wouldn't worry about assuming, we are all here to help each other out on this forum! :cool: gotta start somewhere right?

You added salt directly to your tank? As in your DT? Also did you rinse the chemi pure elite well enough? Power heads stirring up sand?

What's your filtration consist of? Example, I use chemi pure elite, phosguard and purigen. I change my filter floss 2x's a week.

How old is the tank? Maybe debris on the rocks are being kicked up?

Sorry if these were all asked before. I have more questions but we'll start here.

I did not add salt directly to my tank. I slowly mixed about 10 gallons worth of salt in buckets and added to the fuge water until it was at the correct salinty level.

I did rinse the chemi pure bags very well prior to placing into my refugium.

Powerheads are not stirring up the sand. They are more pointed at each other.

I guess my filtration is not much compared to yours. I have the water overflowing into a filter pad, which sit on top of the two bags of ChemiPure. the filter pad is one of those rectangular blocks about 2 inches thick. I change it weekly, so maybe I should change it more often.

Not sure the age of the tank or anything in it. It was a CL's buy. 72 gallon bowfront, 30 gallon fuge, with wooden stand, pump and plumbing attached, and about 100 lbs of base rock.

I concur with the possibility of debri from the rock being kicked up, I just figured it would have cleared up by now.

Before salted, means I had just RO/DI water in the tank without salt so that I could calibrate the plumbing and figure the tank out before I added about 100 gallons worth of salt to it.

It was premixed prior to placing into the fuge.

I'd change the filter floss more often, that's just me though. Also I'd bet its debris from the rocks being kicked around. At water change time do you blast the rocks? I take a turkey baster and blast the rocks and chambers before siphoning the water out.

Purigen can cloud water but not for long. Not sure if you use that. The chemi pure elite should aid in clearing it up. Surprised its not.

I'd do a water change BUT first test your parameters just to rule anything else out. I was also thinking maybe a bacterial bloom, but not so much now.

Hope we've helped. Let us know how it goes.

Also salinity looks to be ok. I prefer to keep mine at 1.026

This was the salinity level this morning....

I had not blasted the rocks previously. I should try that.

There's nothing in my tank right now besides snails and hermits. I didnt want to add fish yet until I got this all perfect, as I didnt want to kill the fish if there was something wrong with the water.

Benameyer - I am getting the parameters to the water test now. I wrote everything down.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 104
Back
Top Bottom