FOOD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keu131

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello.
i have 2 new little clown fishies in my tank. i was wondering on a per fish basis how often and how much should i feed my fish?

thanks for the help :D

What are you feeding them currently? Most people feed them about how much they can eat within a few minutes (this is to try to minimize the amount of food left over).

I usually turn off my powerheads and start feeding a few pellets at a time until they start avoiding the pellets, and then I turn the powerheads back on. I feed my clowns every other day.

thanks

i am currently feeding them the flake mix that was recomended when i bought them. i haev only had them a few days n have fed them a little each day. they are very small so i was giving them only a cuople of flakes at a time until they became un interested..

is there anything that you can feed salt water fish as a treat? something they will really go crazy over? i have a friend who has fresh water fish and they go crazy for blood worms. is there anything like that for salt water fish? :confused:

Try pellet foods as they aren't as messy as flake foods IMO. For a treat you can try freeze-dried products, but don't feed too many or it'll lead to bloat and other problems. You can also try frozen foods as a treat or as part of your clowns' main diet. If there is a loss of interest in food, there is no scientific evidence, but there are garlic food soaks that are supposed to attract the fish to the food.

i am currently feeding them the flake mix that was recomended when i bought them.

me personally I dont believe in flake food (if you use it go hard) but I dont think it contains half of the nutrients of a good pelleted diet (and loses that little nutrional value much faster then pellets.

I also find it can pollute your tank something fierce, and its muchy tougher to try and clean out any excess flakes (usually isnt a problem for most but can be troblesome).

they are very small so i was giving them only a cuople of flakes at a time until they became un interested..

is there anything that you can feed salt water fish as a treat? something they will really go crazy over? i have a friend who has fresh water fish and they go crazy for blood worms. is there anything like that for salt water fish? :confused:

sounds like your off to a good start...as far as feeding goes I believe that this is one of the key mistakes of beginners, oh so many times people dont realize that feeding a fish tank full of fish can take some real skill to balence out the nutirents and still give the fish (and coral if in your tank) the proper diet.

You will hear a different opion from everybody but you have to learn your own regimin of foods (as stated from opions of the collective forum) and feeding schedule as to not upset the balence of the system and to feed the fish :D

But me personally I feed once every 2 days for as much as the fish will take within 5 mins of so...I feed mainly frozen foods (with higher levels of neutrients for your water sometimes -.-') mysis, (and in regards to there treat like blood worms) brine shrimp! I mix it up every now and agian with some pellets but my fish seem to prefer frozen. Also remmber to remove uneaten food lol. Well sorry I rambled but I just felt like it...good luck with your clowns and happy fishing :D

Shroomers

As you can see variaty is the ticket. I use three or four different types of food for my tank on alternating days, I use frozen deli shrimp as a treat. Cut to size of course.

I also like a commercial frozen mix called Rod's Food for my community reef tank. It has a blend of everything I used to use in my home made "blender mush". That goes in once or twice a week. I feed every 2 - 3 days, and only what can be eaten if 3 - 5 minutes.

I do use Formula 1 flakes. A good clean up crew takes care of any leftovers regardless of what you feed as long you don't overfeed.

thanks!!

thanks so much for all of the helpful hints!!
i think i will have to investigate into frozen foods and these lil brine shrimp treats!! i will feel much better if i think/know the fish are getting a good healthy diet and are enjoying every mouth full!

When using frozen food it is important to rinse it with RO/DI water before feeding as it generally contains high levels of phosphates. Use a brine shrimp net or a coffee filter in a cup.

Back
Top Bottom