Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-02-2005, 02:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Food for Acroporas, Maxima and Zoo's

Hello everyone. I recently acquired a nice small maxima clam, a couple of acroporas and a few colonies of zoo's. What does everyone suggest for feeding, and how often? Thanks!

Old 12-02-2005, 06:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can you desribe the size of tank and type/amount of lighting? The Acros and clam will get most of their energy from high intensity lighting. If the clam is smaller (under 3inches) you can suppliment feedings with some type of phytoplankton, check out DT's or Marine Snow. The zoanthids will also derive some energy from the light. They will also pull some nutrients from the water column at feeding time.

Old 12-02-2005, 11:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's a 120 gallon tank, and I have the 48" Current USA MH Outer Orbit lighting. The clam is small, under 2 inches. I have it placed on the bottom for now.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:37 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Small clams neeeeeed to be fed. They need to be taken out of the tank (in a bowl of water) and the water needs to be saturated with phytoplankton (DTs). The lighting you have over a 120 isn't enough light to support a clam though. Well MAYBE if you put it up high. The acros will also do best up high given the available lighting. Zoos generally multiply fast enough without feeding too. The acros are going to want pristine water so the less "food" in the tank the better.

Enjoy your new acquisitions!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 11:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for the replies. I was told that the MH lighting I had would be enough for clams. Whats up with that? I will move it up closer to the top if that is the case.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

How many total watts is the MH. Its not just the fact you have a Metal Halide. Its about how many watts per gallon.
125g~Zoanthid dominated~SPS~LPS~T. crocea~S. haddoni~2xSaddleback Clowns~Hippo, Kole, Achilles Tang~Leopard Wrasse~Flame Angel~Purple Firefish~Gobies~Chromis~3xCleaner Shrimp~2xHarlequin Shrimp~Pistol Shrimp
AquaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 03:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also a good way to feed the clam without taking it out of water get a soda bottle, cut the bottom off place it over the clam and just pour the food into the bottle. It will stay in and only go to the clam
125g~Zoanthid dominated~SPS~LPS~T. crocea~S. haddoni~2xSaddleback Clowns~Hippo, Kole, Achilles Tang~Leopard Wrasse~Flame Angel~Purple Firefish~Gobies~Chromis~3xCleaner Shrimp~2xHarlequin Shrimp~Pistol Shrimp
Old 12-03-2005, 05:11 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
How many total watts is the MH. Its not just the fact you have a Metal Halide. Its about how many watts per gallon.
Watts/gal is only a very loose guideline and not a hard and fast rule. Intensity of the light is what is most important. Higher intensity will give you better penetration.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

yes Higher intensity will give you better penetration but if he has low watts per gallon in a big tank that could be the problem couldnt it?
Old 12-03-2005, 06:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have heard both theories, as far as WPG and plain intensity. The WPG, according to my calculations is 4.67. On a side note, I just got some Roti-Rich from the LFS to feed the clam. Has anyone ever tried using this stuff?

Tags
food

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com