Food for Acroporas, Maxima and Zoo's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndyH5512

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello everyone. I recently acquired a nice small maxima clam, a couple of acroporas and a few colonies of zoo's. What does everyone suggest for feeding, and how often? Thanks!

Can you desribe the size of tank and type/amount of lighting? The Acros and clam will get most of their energy from high intensity lighting. If the clam is smaller (under 3inches) you can suppliment feedings with some type of phytoplankton, check out DT's or Marine Snow. The zoanthids will also derive some energy from the light. They will also pull some nutrients from the water column at feeding time.

It's a 120 gallon tank, and I have the 48" Current USA MH Outer Orbit lighting. The clam is small, under 2 inches. I have it placed on the bottom for now.

Small clams neeeeeed to be fed. They need to be taken out of the tank (in a bowl of water) and the water needs to be saturated with phytoplankton (DTs). The lighting you have over a 120 isn't enough light to support a clam though. Well MAYBE if you put it up high. The acros will also do best up high given the available lighting. Zoos generally multiply fast enough without feeding too. The acros are going to want pristine water so the less "food" in the tank the better.

Enjoy your new acquisitions!

Thanks for the replies. I was told that the MH lighting I had would be enough for clams. Whats up with that? I will move it up closer to the top if that is the case.

How many total watts is the MH. Its not just the fact you have a Metal Halide. Its about how many watts per gallon.

Also a good way to feed the clam without taking it out of water get a soda bottle, cut the bottom off place it over the clam and just pour the food into the bottle. It will stay in and only go to the clam

How many total watts is the MH. Its not just the fact you have a Metal Halide. Its about how many watts per gallon.
Watts/gal is only a very loose guideline and not a hard and fast rule. Intensity of the light is what is most important. Higher intensity will give you better penetration.

yes Higher intensity will give you better penetration but if he has low watts per gallon in a big tank that could be the problem couldnt it?

I have heard both theories, as far as WPG and plain intensity. The WPG, according to my calculations is 4.67. On a side note, I just got some Roti-Rich from the LFS to feed the clam. Has anyone ever tried using this stuff?

yes Higher intensity will give you better penetration but if he has low watts per gallon in a big tank that could be the problem couldnt it?
I prefer to think of it from the oppisite direction...A tank with 6-7 wpg of CF lighting would not automatically qualitfy it to keep light-demanding animals. In this case, depth is what is important. While 150watts of MH lighting may not be enought to sustain a clam placed on the substrate. Moving the clam to a higher place on the rockwork is a better option.
Small clams neeeeeed to be fed. They need to be taken out of the tank (in a bowl of water) and the water needs to be saturated with phytoplankton (DTs).
I agree with Phyllis in that small clams do need direct feedings. I would caution removing the clam from the tank to do so. Rock dwelling species such as the Crocea will actually attach to the rock and romoving them could cause damage to the foot...leading to infection etc. Even clams that prefer the sustrate should be provided with a flat rock burried in the substrate that they can attach to.

I'm sorry! I missed the fact that it was a MH fixture. I saw Orbit and heard PC :D

MH should be fine once it is big enough to be photosynthetic. Until then feedings are still a must. Taking the clam out of the tank is still a good idea because you can super saturate the water in the bowl without risking fouling your tank. If you let them attach to a shell or small portable rock then taking it out of the tank is easier on them.

AndyH5512 said:
On a side note, I just got some Roti-Rich from the LFS to feed the clam. Has anyone ever tried using this stuff?
Rotifers are generally too large for clams to injest (50-100 nm) while live phytoplanton is right in the range (4-40 nm) and will feed the clam just fine. Until it reach's the 2ish" size range, it will rely quite strongly on these feedings.

Cheers
Steve

StripesTheEel said:
I have never kept clams but could a syringe or something similar with the food be injected close to its mouth also? :?
Too much too fast/often can cause the gills to clog, especially if the micron size is not appropriate. While still quite small they can be removed from the tank and "bowl fed". Many prefer placing them in a small 5-10 gallon tank and just add the foods there until they reach an appropraite size for a display tank. Basically your looking for enough surface area on the mantle for it to properly photosynthesize it's own food via zooxanthellae. Typically once the reach the 2"+ size, they will need much less in the way of direct feedings.

Cheers
Steve

Hey Steve. This particular clam (if it survives last night's MIA fiasco-under another post) is just under 2." Shall I grab some phytoplankton, then?

Wouldn't hurt to feed it some for the short term anyway. Once it gets over about 2" and has a good mantle extension, you can simpley add the phyto to the tank occasionally as supplimentation. For now though, you really need to ensure it's feeding.

How is the clam attached if at all and where (on the bottom?) has it been placed in the tank?

Cheers
Steve

Steve, it's not attached yet. I have it placed on the sand substrate. Since it was plowed into the sand the other night, though, I am going to place it on a flat rock and build a small rubble wall around it. I dont want it plowed into the sand again.

They will be alot healthier if you can let them attach but something small and mobile is best. Either a flat piece of rock like you suggested or ½ shell from a dead clam. That way the clam can be more appropriately placed when it's light needs become more important that feeding.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom