for Christmas my gf got me the best gift ever lol(36 gal bowfront)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMR1624

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all :) for Christmas my gf got me the best gift ever lol(36 gal bowfront). And with help from the lfs I was able to get everything I supposedly need to start. Here's my list: t5 dual lamp with timer, mainland c-220 canister filter, 200 watt heater, coralife 65g skimmer, hydrometer, thermometer, water test kit, 30 lbs crushed coral, and reef crystals for salt. How am I doin? Thanks in advance!! Oh, our home water filtration system is ro water.

Sounds great! I didn't see test kits on that list, though. You'll need ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and pH to start. If you want corals, you'll need calcium, magnesium, salinity later. Might want phosphate test at some point too. Good luck with the new tank!

Oh yes, I did get a test put with ph, ammonia, nitrate and nitrite. Forgot to mention that. However I don't have the others. I know that we won't be able to have many fish bc it's a smaller tank but we at least know we hope to be able to eventually have a pair of clownish and an anenome. Other than that I have no idea just yet lol.

i would say no to the canister as it would need frequent cleaning and add powerheads for water movement. i would add live rock as the bacteria will colonize it and is your main source of filtration. with 2 lamps you would not be able to keep many corals other then low light ones i would add another 2 bulbs if you wanted to keep coral. ro water is good to start but would add a di canister for the water to be used for you tank

Well I've got it up and running with some live rock. The light on there is still the factory hood light btw. The other lamp is still in my closet lol. The skimmer is only on the tank so I could know how far to keep it fRom the wall before I filled it. Its not running. I put a piece of live rock in once the water cleared up. The salinity tested at 1.023 this morning. I haven't tested anything else yet. In total it's been running for almost 48 hours.

ForumRunner_20130101_094144.jpg

i would say no to the canister as it would need frequent cleaning and add powerheads for water movement. i would add live rock as the bacteria will colonize it and is your main source of filtration. with 2 lamps you would not be able to keep many corals other then low light ones i would add another 2 bulbs if you wanted to keep coral. ro water is good to start but would add a di canister for the water to be used for you tank

Unfortunately the canister is already in use lol. But ty for the good point on the lights! :) I'm gonna have to go look up di canister. Man there's so much to learn ;)

Well, with each new piece of live rock I have added I have new inhabitants in the tank. Its up to 3 free snails and a starfish. Is this common? Its hard to make out but tgat greenish blue glob in the middle of the pic is the star.

ForumRunner_20130106_101607.jpg

Well, with each new piece of live rock I have added I have new inhabitants in the tank. Its up to 3 free snails and a starfish. Is this common? Its hard to make out but tgat greenish blue glob in the middle of the pic is the star.

Looks like an asterina star. They're fine. It's pretty common to get hitchhikers. They're usually good, occasionally not so good. :) I got some mini brittle stars and at least 1 no-so-mini brittle as hitchhikers. :)

So what do you all think of this stocking idea: 2 true percula clowns, 1 mandarin goby with refugium for pods, 4 turbo snails, 5 small blue hermit crabs, 1 peppermint shrimp and a red brittle starfish? I'm currently up to 33 pounds of live rock btw and all tests are coming back well each day.

Back
Top Bottom