Forced to MH Lights??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Retired_AF

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Sorry to keep posting questions but hereare a couple more. I am working on getting the equipment list for my 90 gallon tank I am setting up as my first saltwater tank. It came with a single 24" fluorescent bulb which I know is totally inadequate for what I am planning. I want to start it as a FOWLR and maybe start some corals after I get some experience under my belt.

The tank is 48" wide 13 inches deep and 31" high so I know I will need some serious lights to be able to illuminate the lower part adequately. I may not need them immediately since I will be trying to put the tank into place this weekend, but the time is approaching fast.

My questions are :

Am I forced to metal halides to light the bottom of this thing? :confused:

What size, 250 or 400 watts? I want it to light fairly evenly so I am sure I would need at least 2 fixtures if they have single bulbs.

Is there any difference between the ones at the aquarium store and the halogen lights at the hopme improvement store? :huh:

A 48" inch MH fixture should have two lamps so it should be even. As an example, I setup a dual 150watt MH over my 90g tank and it seemed to light the bottom ok, but I bet it would be even better with 250's. If you go mh make sure you get a fixture with actinic support or the tank will be very yellow, at least in my opinion.

led's can also be a super option. The AI sols supposedly are great for deep tanks but they are about $400 a piece and you'd need two.

Or you could research other led's and see what you find.

Depending on the types of coral you might could go with t5 lighting but I like the MH lighting better. If you want more blue you can try a 20k bulb I like 14 K but my friend likes 20 K as long as there is enough yellow and red spectrum in the light either one works great.

You might check out a couple local forums in NC someone is always upgrading or getting out or shrinking in the hobby it seems.

Back
Top Bottom