forgotten that the gallon measure i use had soap residue from a tank i was cleaning l

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blakskall

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had to top off my tank water 2day, but i had forgotten that the gallon measure i use had soap residue from a tank i was cleaning last night, the only thing in the gallon measure was a dawn soap, i only added about 2 cups of water with the residue in it..... the only thing in my tank right now is live rock.. is there anything i can do? Do you think my live rock will be ok??

I would get more sw made in a bucket. Pull out your lr and rinse off in new sw with some prime or aquasafe, then drain tank and wash everything with vinegar, rinse out really well. Fill and start again.

cant do that... i use bought purified water, not tap

Basically your only other option is to take everything out, wash with vinegar, and completely restart. Which in effect will turn your lr to base, but in time itll become live.

i think im going to be ok, there wasnt that much soap in the water, and i have my bio wheel running to filter it out, im doing a 5% water change everyday to try and flush it out

if it was just residue i think you'll be alright

it was residue from dawn dish soap... it dried so i didnt see it in the gallon measure.. i hope it doesnt kill my rock.. i just bought it

im hoping with water changes everything will be fine.... but we'll see..

it would be a good idea to run some carbon too to help absorb some of the residue

Back
Top Bottom