fort's 57 gallon Rimless Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PM John Maloney of ReefCleaners about the cuc and have him customize the package for you.

Skip the long gloves shown above. No feel and they tend to tear at the wrist. If you want arm length gloves get the disposable Vet gloves (used for cows, etc.) You can get them online for $28 for 200 or these Vet-R-Sem Disposable Gloves for $18.44 for a 100 (50 pair).

I am just gonna go with nitrile disposables. That sounds like the easiest option. Thanks cmor. I will check into the CuC with John. Tank needs to be cycled obviously first - but should I add it soon after the cycle is finished, or do I need to wait until some nutrients have built up to add them?

Clean up crew isnt an actual necessity. Get them cause you like them not cause you expect them to fix an issue or prevent issues. :)

I happen to like nassarius snails so I always have dozens of them in each tank. lol I love feeding them and watching them emerge from everywhere.

If you wanted to add them i would wait a week or two after you cycle and get some fish. You will have to feed them if they are in there alone.

Sounds good. I put some dead shrimp in the sump, so hopefully the cycle will get kick started here... between that and the cured rock, I ought to be ready for a fish in a few weeks I would think. I was thinking my first fish would be a pair of clowns, unless I need to add something else from my list first...

How's your list look now? It's been a pretty long thread lol. ;-)

I have added clowns first with no aggression at all to other new fish so I think you'll be ok with those guys.

2 Clowns, 3 blue reef chromis, anthias of some kind. That is all I have so far that I know I want.

Nice stocking list ;)
What kind of clowns?

Your skimmer has to "break in". How can it break in, when there are no moving parts? Various oils and other stuff from manufacturing are present on a brand new skimmer that inhibits foam from being produced up the skimmer tower. Once a slime coat is deposited inside the tower, the bubbles will take longer to climb the wall, collecting more nutrients and then being deposited inside of the collection cup instead of out into your water.

I would think it would likely do this until after you are cycled. Although I've never ran a skimmer while cycling. What is the point of doing that..?

scottayy said:
Nice stocking list ;)
What kind of clowns?

Your skimmer has to "break in". How can it break in, when there are no moving parts? Various oils and other stuff from manufacturing are present on a brand new skimmer that inhibits foam from being produced up the skimmer tower. Once a slime coat is deposited inside the tower, the bubbles will take longer to climb the wall, collecting more nutrients and then being deposited inside of the collection cup instead of out into your water.

I would think it would likely do this until after you are cycled. Although I've never ran a skimmer while cycling. What is the point of doing that..?

Running a skimmer during cycle is just for it to break in. You wouldn't want it to be releasing bubbles into your tank when you have fish inside since it's unpleasing to the eye just like diatoms. It's best to get all the eyeshade outta the way during cycle so you can enjoy your livestock later on :)

Running a skimmer during cycle is just for it to break in. You wouldn't want it to be releasing bubbles into your tank when you have fish inside since it's unpleasing to the eye just like diatoms. It's best to get all the eyeshade outta the way during cycle so you can enjoy your livestock later on :)

Would running the skimmer delay the cycle? That's why we run skimmers, to get the nutrients out of the tank. But during a cycle one would want them.

scottayy said:
Would running the skimmer delay the cycle? That's why we run skimmers, to get the nutrients out of the tank. But during a cycle one would want them.

It wouldn't delay it if one were on top of their ammo dosing or atleast not by much. Another way to break in a skimmer is to run it in a bucket of water/vinegar. The vinegar would help remove the oils faster and keep them out of your tank.

@Justin, you absolutely want a CUC, but not until you've added fish and have left over food that needs to be cleaned up. That's the problem with all the 'packages'. They are designed for a fully populated tank. However, you need to add livestock slowly, so you need to add the CUC in stages. Snails don't last forever, and I do an annual refresher. It may be because of my sparse feeding habit (2x/week), but I still get algae even with that.

I just realized I left the house this morning without grabbing that item for you. I have everything sitting at the tank so all I had to do was grab a handful. I'll try to get out early so it gets to for Saturday.

Loving this thread. I might have to emulate your sump - tho I can only fit 10G. Did the sand already go in? I was thinking it'll be hard to rinse it with the rock already in the tank. Maybe rinse batches in buckets? It'll really help reduce 'dust' settling on your rocks.

- D

No sand yet. I am hoping today...

According to mfdrookie, the sand I ordered is the same he used and it required no rinsing. I am just going to lay it in using some 1" PVC to channel it to the bottom. Should be minimal clouding.

Test it first to make sure nothing has changed... but mine just gave a slight haze to the water that went away after a day or two. Nothing like what you see in a lot of the pictures where people add sand. It's really amazing sand, especially for the price :)

So much for arriving today. The updated tracking shows that it was just dropped off to the USPS this morning in Florida. The price is right but this guy definitely drags his feet. I placed the order 16 days ago now.

Ok, just placed another BRS order... have on the way:

Hanna PO4 checker w/ extra reagent
Red Sea Alk test kit
2nd titanium heater as a back up
filter sock mount
filter socks that will actually fit my sump unlike the giant thing I have in there now
New pH probe for my SMS122 controller
and a digital thermometer to back up my digital temps on my heaters.

Jon requested a pic of my zoa polyp so here it is... Best the iPhone can do.

Attachments

• image-2811881691.jpg
    image-2811881691.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 114
Back
Top Bottom