fort's 57 gallon Rimless Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Milwaukee sms122 controller. Used it for years with my planted tanks. The API kit could be reading 8.4, it's close. But they seem to be pretty close to each other.

PO4 is at 1ppm. Nitrate at 10. Nitrite at 2. Ammonia holding at 2. Won't be long now.

I assume the PO4 is coming from the dead shrimp. Does this mean I need to adjust my skimmer?

fort384 said:
PO4 is at 1ppm. Nitrate at 10. Nitrite at 2. Ammonia holding at 2. Won't be long now.

I assume the PO4 is coming from the dead shrimp. Does this mean I need to adjust my skimmer?

What does PO4 stand for?

During the cycle all you need to check is ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. All other parameters are suspect until the tank chemistry settles down.

During the cycle I recommend not running the skimmer and minimal lights. The skimmer if probably broken in by now so it's up to you whether to continue or not.

You need to see the ammonia drop to 0 as well as the nitrite. Then the big (35%-50%) PWC. That's when you want to start testing everything. After a week of steady readings you're ready to start adding some life.

BTW, did the postman bring anything new today?

Last edited:
Not today... I guess it should arrive tomorrow.

Understood on the testing... Just had to try out my Hanna checker and was surprised the reading was so high.

Going to go ahead and shut the skimmer off. I think it is broke in. Skimmed a lovely smelling bouquet over the past few days :).

They do get funky. Not much worse than getting a snnot full on the way to dumping it. Good ole USPS. Always a day late.

Package arrived Seymour... thanks!

Do I just let the ball float in the fuge? It is tumbling around pretty good in there.

Also, definitely seeing a diatom outbreak. I have the lights way down still, but looks like they are growing anyway... seeing it on the glass, rock, and sand...

Yep just let it float. The tumbling is good. Diatoms are ugly as crap but go away pretty soon.

Good progress!

Looking good. IME once you hit the diatom stage you're well on your way to finishing up the cycle. Nice progress.

Stocking list done?
Almost ready for that first fish.
Do you have a QT?
If not, get some filter material in the sump now and get ready to start up the QT in a week. YES, you should QT from the first livestock you buy and everything that comes after.

Can I use a 5 gal and an HOB for quarantine?

as long as you buy the fish as juvies yea you can. I mean I wouldn't put a small tang in there but you can for a few weeks if it's small enough. just don't put more than 1-2 fish in a 5g QT at a time.

I would probably go with a little bit of a bigger QT too. :) I am currently using a 20g, but 10g is a good size too. :)

I agree on a 10g as a minimum. I use a 30, but I bought it when I had an Ich outbreak years ago and needed to house all my fish for 8 weeks. I now use it to mix my PWCs in.

Good news, ammonia is now 0 ppm. Nitrite is dropping. Down to around 1.0. Should be ready for a water change soon. Mixing up SW for my PWC now...

Also observed a couple of small feather dusters that must have either come in on cmor's chaeto or on my LR. Cool!

I am getting a ton of salt creep near the end of the sump where the drain line ends. I may have to come up with a lid or some thing for the sump, or at least the skimmer/drain area...

Also, no new growth on the diatoms, and they might have actually receded a bit. That is encouraging.

Back
Top Bottom