fort's 57 gallon Rimless Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Picked up a new toy today since the iPhone cam wasn't cutting it. I am not good at taking pictures and know nothing about it, but here are my first shots from my Canon EOS Rebel T3.

19738-albums9044-picture35508.jpg

19738-albums9044-picture35511.jpg

19738-albums9044-picture35510.jpg

19738-albums9044-picture35509.jpg

19738-albums9044-picture35507.jpg

19738-albums9044-picture35512.jpg

I realize it has only be a few days... but it also seems that coral does not add significantly to the bioload from what I have read. If my frogspawn is still looking good in 3 or 4 more days, would it be too soon to add a torch?

fort384 said:
I realize it has only be a few days... but it also seems that coral does not add significantly to the bioload from what I have read. If my frogspawn is still looking good in 3 or 4 more days, would it be too soon to add a torch?

Go ahead, you could add one now. Coral barely have a bioload.

Yeah go ahead and add as many as you want :p A tip though, have some saltwater mixed for when you lose water when you acclimate. When I first did it my ATO would make up the difference in water and my salinity would drop.

Those pictures are sweet! I like the FTS.. very clean look with the rimless action going on.

I looked up that model of camera you got.. not too expensive. I may have to invest!

+1 regarding corals. From all i read, once you are cycled you can basically fill your tank with them. I wouldnt suggest this, just in terms of impact on bioload.

Have you thought about adding a duncan to you tank? They have nice movement and arent aggressive corals like frogspawns, torches, and hammers.

Alright, picked up a few more specimens today. Got a very nice looking hammer coral. It hasn't opened all the way back up yet, but I figure I will give it time. It is near the bottom, but looks as if maybe it is too much flow, will keep an eye on it. The clowns have already taken a liking to it... Also picked up some daisy polyps, and some more zoas. The green zoas aren't too happy about being moved a bit, so not all have opened back up yet. The tank is almost starting to look like a reef tank though... now if I could only find some blue reef chromis... I think that is the next purchase once the biological filter has some time to adjust to my perculas. If anyone has a good source for them, please pass it on. Here are some more pics.

19738-albums9044-picture35552.jpg

19738-albums9044-picture35546.jpg

19738-albums9044-picture35547.jpg

19738-albums9044-picture35548.jpg

19738-albums9044-picture35549.jpg

19738-albums9044-picture35550.jpg

19738-albums9044-picture35551.jpg

Well, the zoas and daisies are doing great. My LPS corals don't look too hot. I posted a thread regarding my hammer not opening... trying a few different things so hopefully I can turn the corner on that.

I am also have what appears to be pretty good explosion of coraline growth. It is appearing in little dots all over my LR. I thought maybe it was cyano but it is not slimy at all, and does not come off when I wave my hand over it or even scrape it with my thumb nail. Is this normally how coraline starts to grow? In hundreds of little dots?

Last edited:
Tank is really coming along fine Justin. Great job picking out the corals and fish.

I attached pics of my supposed coraline and my sickly LPS...

Attachments

• IMG_0533.jpg
    IMG_0533.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0535.jpg
    IMG_0535.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0536.jpg
    IMG_0536.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 111
I can never get the purple coralline :( But I have the neon green stuff and it starts in little white specs on the rock.. kinda looks like little eggs.

I don't know why your stuff isn't opening up. I've never purchased a coral that didn't open up the first day I've had it (must be lucky).

My hammer coral did the same thing the first two days it was all extended and suddenly one night it shriveled all up I thought it was dying but I moved it lower on the sand bed and a week later went back to normal now the same the same thing is happening to my torch coral hopefully it's pulls through too and on the coralline my lfs has the red looking dot just like your I think it looks really cool IMO

Lunchbox209 said:
My hammer coral did the same thing the first two days it was all extended and suddenly one night it shriveled all up I thought it was dying but I moved it lower on the sand bed and a week later went back to normal now the same the same thing is happening to my torch coral hopefully it's pulls through too and on the coralline my lfs has the red looking dot just like your I think it looks really cool IMO

Not hammer coral I meant frogspawn got carried away reading you thread lol

Back
Top Bottom