fort's 57 gallon Rimless Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fort384

Dividing by 0
Site Team
Ok, so after a couple weeks of mulling over what size tank to start, I have landed on a 57 gallon Oceanic Illuminata at my first reef tank.

Oceanic Systems » Oceanic Illuminata | Products

It is ordered, and due into my LFS some time in the next week or two.

That's basically as far as I have got so far.

For lighting, I am heavily leaning towards an Ecotech Radeon fixture, assuming 1 unit would be enough to light my tank appropriately. PAR readings on this fixture appear to be better than a 250W MH pendant, but I am worried about coverage/spread. I could use some advice and opinions on that. I know there are cheaper options out there, but I am pretty amazed with the functionality of this fixture, especially considering I can get it to work in concert with the Vortechs. The fixture would be suspended on wires from the ceiling over the tank, as I will run it open top.

I am also looking at the MP10w ES Vortech powerheads - probably 2 of them would get the job done in this tank.

The tank will come drilled with an overflow - I will need to figure out what I am going to do for a sump.

Any comments, advice, etc are welcome. I am brand new to the reef game, so I basically have no idea what I am doing.

Nice tank! My lfs has one for sale right now, gorgeous setup and the starfire glass is a nice plus. :)

I think you will need two radions for a 57g though. :-(

The vortechs sound good, I think 2 mp10's are good unless you want just the one mp40. :)

Wow, this is going to look sweet! With the magic you pull off in your planted tanks I can only imagine the amazingness of this one.

Have you decided on any corals or fish/inverts yet?

Good luck! I'll be following along :)

Thanks!

If one Radeon is not enough I will probably look at other options. I don't know if I could bring myself to buy 2 of them.

I've got the radion and (2) MP10w ES on a 54 corner tank.

One is just enough at 27", so for a standard length, you would need two.

As for the vortechs, I have (2) but they are dialed back to 50-55%. I think (1) MP40 would work fine.

Ok, thanks TLTGF. I was debating between 1 MP40 and 2 MP10's. I figured the control on 2 MP10's would be better, should I have any flow issues after scaping.

If the consensus is that a single MP40 would be just fine, it would save me a hundred bucks or so.

I think I will look into something else for lighting. I would like to keep it under $1000 if I can... but definitely LED. But, I am not going to build a fixture...

Any opinions on the AI SOL? A 2 unit setup would meet the budget, I suppose.

I went with the MP10's for the same reason. I am happy I did, but after using these I can see that easily (1) MP10 would've sufficed for my application, let alone a 40. I could go either way with it.

I read tons about the sol's vs. radion and a LOT of people like them. I have no experience with anything else, so can't really help.

Another option is the TaoTronics LED Chinese fixtures I've been hearing about. You can get them on eBay. Mr. X just put some on his build.

The thread is under Member's Showcase.

I saw those - they are definitely an option. I would really like a dimmable fixture though, and also, the fixture is going to be ceiling mounted and suspended, so the fixture needs to look nice as well.

The AI Vegas are available for pre-order now, when they ship I couldn't tell you. Last I had heard they were suppose to be significantly more powerful than the Sols, though 2 Sols should do just fine on that tank.

Yeah, the vegas look cool, but, I don't see specs on them. Also, I would think 1 might not be big enough, and 2 would be overkill. 2 SOLs ought to be about right from what I have seen looking around. You would know better than I.

Two PH`s will be ideal as pointed at each other will provide chaotic water flow which imo is ideal. It`s basically what you see on the reef. Tank looks nice and should work good. What size tank will fit under the stand? As far as the sump or refuge I like the mag pumps. As far as the lighting I`m not up to date on LED`s. I`m still old fashioned by using VHO`s. Looking forward to the build.

Thanks Mike - the stand is 36" long, and I think 30 or 35" tall, so I ought be able to get a decent sized sump under the tank. However, I also think I need to plan for an ATO reservoir as well - I am sure I will see quite a bit of evaporation with an open top. I was thinking of trying to do something with about 24" length for a sump if I can get away with it, and leave 10-12" for a vertical type reservoir for the ATO. Not sure where that leaves me, or if that is possible. I suppose it is possible I could try and put the reservoir outside the stand, but as this tank will be in our main living area, I am sure the wife would appreciate things being as hidden as possible.

Your ATO reservoir doesn't have to go under the stand necessarily. I have seen them hidden in everyday household items and placed next to the tank. I believe I saw the guys on BRS TV put one in a storage ottoman you can pick up at target. No one will ever know it's housing part of you life support system, of course I guess this assumes you have any room next to the tank for such things.

Thanks TL, I just saw Doug had recommended that one in another post as well. It looks pretty attractive, especially at that price point.

I ordered all the plumbing parts for my RO storage. Will post pics of the build of that once I get the parts in.

Just ordered:

175 gallon salt mix
1 300W heater with Digital control
2 Vortech MP10's
2 aqua lifters
2 float switchs for ATO

I guess I am all in now :)

Before you go any further you might want to decide now if you will invest in a controller. For instance you can have it as a temperature and ATO instead of using other equipment.

Not sure if you've considered it or not. :)

Yes, have considered it. I have so many timers, and I have a pH controller not in use, I am going to hold off on the controller for now. It is something I may want to do down the road, but for now, I am not going to go for it. When I get one, I will want a really nice one... and with the money going to the vortechs, the tank, the RO system, and the AI Sols, I don't think I wanna spring for it right now.

Back
Top Bottom