found out what is wrong with my tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chabooky386

Aquarium Advice Activist
my tank has extreme nitrate in there i tested it and dam that tester strip came out bold pink i was like HOLY shizzal nitz...

any ideas to reduce it? quick?

30-35 percent water change

some people may suggest higher just remember the more water u change out the more stressed the fish will be u have to wiegh that against the stress from the high nitrate,

also make sure all the filters and skimmer is working properly and any carbon or media is up to date

major water change.

I would change 20% ASAP and then another 20% a day later, check the parameters then go from there.

what are you using for filtration? what is it stocked with?
what is the actual reading of the nitrate test? how many ppm?

Give us some details about your tank and what you have in it.

Some will say that <10 will be fine for a FOWLR. I have a high nitrate concentration in all my tanks with no adverse affect (at least that I can see). How long have you had the LR in the tank. Perhaps you introduced it recently....had some die off which brought up ammonia....and began a mini cycle....I would be curious to know what the ppm of the nitrates is as well

I think I've heard clear up to 40ppm of nitrate is 'safe' if its truely FOWLR...no corals or inverts.
I'd really aim for under 20ppm though, because it means your water is that much cleaner.

Are you running a protein skimmer? Skimmers will remove the stuff before it can become nitrate, as well as lowering phosphate generating compounds.

If all else fails, look into setting up a refugium, with some macro algae, like Chaetomorphia. it'll suck up some nitrate and phosphate.

Back
Top Bottom