Found some stuff at my beach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

classklown90

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have some hermit crabs from my local beach (NJ) now I'm well aware there could be parasites, I'm going to quarentine. My question is how big will they get and will they live in a reef setting peacefully? As far as "not disturbing natural wildlife" they were sitting in an almost dried up tidal pool surronded by segulls and only few were still alive.

Oh,no no no.They are probably the plain brown leg ugly hermits that will get nasty after awhile.Now if they have blue legs or red legs it could be different.

I believe they are "long armed hermits" they have a long right claw that's bigger then the left. It says they get no biiger than an inch. Are they reef safe? I know that some ppl say no crabs are actualf safe but are they as safe as say a blue leg hermit?

aaronalam said:
What's wrong with the brown legged hermits?

Let me list.

1.Picked up in a tide pool no telling what pollution you are getting.
2.They grow larger than the reds or blues.
3.They will eat your snails and other hermits where Red & Blue mainly eat algae and Demetrius .
4. To me most important,why do you want to put a butt ugly brown leg hermit in your beautiful reef when you can have
nice Red and Blue legged hermits?

Seven years ago when I first started in SW I made the mistake based on sorry LFS at the time.Trust me don't use them.

have some already, i like these guys they add variety, they are not the ones that aaronalam linked you too so we are talking about two differesnt species. cana anyone identify these so I can see how big they will get?

Back
Top Bottom