Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-29-2003, 09:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

found something on a fiji rock

this is my first SW tank and I have just purchased some fiji rock. when I came home after work and turned the tank lights I saw this thing sticking out of the fiji rock. it was out about a 1/4 inch and its body was about the diameter of a pencil. the head had about 10 or 12 short brown tenticles spread out in a star pattern with a mouth of sorts in the middle. it slowly sucked itself back into its hole when the lights came on. I assume its a soft coral but why would it only come out when the lights are off?

the tank is still cycling so I havent added any nutrients to the water yet but I do want this thing to survive. the nitrates are still pretty high so will this thing survive?

I'll see if I can get a pic.

Old 07-29-2003, 10:03 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Im worried this is an apastia. A photo will tell the tail. If it is what I think is it then you want it to DIE.

Of course it could be a button polyp so a photo is needed.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 11:39 PM   #3
steve-s

Does it look like this:

Or more like this:

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-30-2003, 09:59 PM   #4

more like the first one but I think less tentacles and the tentacles arent as long. light brown body, light brown tentacles with red sections on them. when it sucks itself back into its hole after turning the lights on its head might still be out alittle. it is very camouflaged to the figi rock when its like this what with the red algea and brown rock.

thanks for your help, I have a digi camera but I couldnt find the battery charger last night. I still mean to post a pic.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:45 PM   #5
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisanthrope
light brown body, light brown tentacles with red sections on them.
With that description, I am not completely convinced it is aiptasia. Personally, I have not seen any red coloration in them. Could be anemonia majano or possibley an anemone hitchiker.

I would hold off taking any action to remove it until you are able to post a pic to be sure.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-06-2003, 10:06 PM   #6

this is the best pic I could get. it only takes a few seconds before this thing is back in its hole after I turn the tank lights on.

I dont have any webspace to link the photo so I have uploaded it to my gallery.

let me know what you think, if you can see it.

thanks
Old 08-06-2003, 10:29 PM   #7
steve-s

Didn't see anything in your gallery except the freshwater planted tank. Is it still awaiting approval?

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-06-2003, 10:44 PM   #8

Yes, sorry...I should have waited alittle longer before writing.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:22 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

here is the pic in question

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 11:36 PM   #10
steve-s

Without a clearer pic I would say it might be aiptasia. But I am also wondering if it is not a curlycue anemone (Bartholomea annualata). The pic is rather blury. Mabye this pic will help?

Cheers
Steve

Tags
rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com