Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-11-2003, 10:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

fourspot butterfly

aka chaetodon quadrimaculatus my girl friend came home with this guy last night !! pulling out the books made me worry she wasted money on this hard fella !! not even 3 min in the tank he was swimming around like he been there for weeks pick off the rock and what not !! robert fenner said to avoid such butterflys due to there survival rate ! so i think that we might have got lucky with this specimen ! anyone ever have one of these and if so for how long ! think robert said that most live like 4-7 months tops ?!?!? and less than 20% survive at all !! told her next time to always take the books if she gonna fish shop hope it wasnt a mistake

Old 11-11-2003, 11:07 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I think that the primary diet of this fish is Pocillopora polyps. Keeping the fish supplied with a diet of coral frags could become an expensive adventure. It's really sad to see LFS's selling fish such as this one.

ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 11:07 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

http://saltaquarium.miningco.com/lib...urspotbfly.htm

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 11:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

yea and it was the same place i rescued the panther grouper from to make it even worse !! petland in naperville dont seam to care !! now it was eating right away !! mysis shrimp and sweatwater !! and after doing a search for him it said that they can get used to eating such foods !! do you think that a possibility or no way at all !! i guess i can take him back they have a 48 hour warranty !!
Old 11-11-2003, 11:18 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Well, reading the article that Kevin posted, it seems that if you got a juvenille, that you might be able to "train" it to eat foods other than coral polyps. I'd say the fact that it is eating at this point is a very good sign.

I would lean toward the *meaty* side of food - mysis, chopped krill, zooplankton, etc. It might be a good idea to also soak the food in a good marine vitamin, like Selcon or Zoe. Maybe try some of the prepared (frozen) angel foods that are out there.

As far as returning the fish, I'm not sure. It's probably better off, at this point, in your hands. If returned, it will of course be resold, and probably to someone who is less knowledgeable about it's care.

Good luck.
ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 11:24 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
As far as returning the fish, I'm not sure. It's probably better off, at this point, in your hands. If returned, it will of course be resold, and probably to someone who is less knowledgeable about it's care.
I agree!

Old 11-11-2003, 11:31 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

and why i love this forum alot of good people on here with alot of good advice thanks !! she meant well and loves this fish and after watching him swim around looking so good i had 2nd guesses about it myself !! kinda funny though the hogcandy i have was so scared of this guy it wasnt even funny and their about the same size hehehe i will pick up some of that food and hope for the best and like ya said "It's probably better off, at this point, in your hands" for sure on that !! we were talkin about that and my girlfriend said we've become a rescue of petlands fishs which is sad but if shes game so am i having 4 tanks now all pretty much full means mabe i can get another tank or 2 heheheh and i got here going to the beginner salt water class tonight so the bug is getting set thanks again and will keep ya posted on the beautiful little guy
Old 11-11-2003, 11:38 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

ohhh 1 more thing im guessing that softies are ok it only like the sps which i dont have !! it didnt seam to even look at my xenias or the yellow polyps
Old 11-11-2003, 01:17 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
ohhh 1 more thing im guessing that softies are ok it only like the sps which i dont have !!
That would be my take on it, but many butterflies will go to an alternate corals source if the prefferred type is not present. Hopefully yours will find the softies unpallettable.

Old 11-16-2003, 11:14 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

one week and counting and so far so good thank god put in a open clam and the butterfly picked on it till about midnight even with the lights off ! seamed he didnt want the cleaners shrimp getting it all

Tags
butterfly, fly

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com