Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2011, 01:55 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Isn't everything Chinese made nowadays? Lol

But those stories of odyssea fixtures bursting into flames have no proof. People can say anything over the Internet. Also, those stories were from years ago, now odyssea fixtures use multiple power cords, instead of a single one.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:57 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
they use multiple power cords because people who buy these fixtures want that- not because it's safer.
it's not the lack of cords, it's the lack of quality control. i wouldn't buy anything that's not UL listed.
the reports of melted wires and such are not that old.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:04 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
they use multiple power cords because people who buy these fixtures want that- not because it's safer.
it's not the lack of cords, it's the lack of quality control. i wouldn't buy anything that's not UL listed.
the reports of melted wires and such are not that old.
The last reports I am able to find on these fixtures catching fire are in 2006.

They revised the fixture in 2008, again in 2010. I have their newest version.

I'm not overly worried about it catching fire; I have been monitoring them and with the built in fan, they don't get overly hot. Seem to be rock solid so far.

That said, I don't expect to be able to promote "any coral I want" but I should be able to run some soft corals which is what I'm looking for especially since I have enough live rock built up the top of the piled live rock is 12" below the surface.

At any rate, is it too early for me to add a soft coral of some type? I like the hammer corals and ones that look like anemones, nice flowing corals, not necessarily anemones.

Your guidance has gotten me this far, so I'm all ears to any tips.

Thanks as always.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:04 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well multiple power cords mean that all the wires are separated more and not as prone to melting or overheating. And as far as metal halide fixtures catching on fire and whatnot, the latest I can find on that was 2006. I did a lot of research when I wanted to buy one of these fixtures, but never bought one since I found a good t5ho setup.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:58 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hey I promised you a good picture of a flowy coral thats easy to keep. It's my torch and it's about doubled in size in about 3 months. No special feeding and I keep it on my sandbed.
Also shown is a hammer, a leather and a colt coral.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:02 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

VERRRRY NICE

Those are the corals I want to keep!!!

Are there benefits to having these? Do they clean the water?

What do they eat?
Old 08-15-2011, 03:07 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I don't feed anything to my corals I just do weekly water changes. Most not all corals are photsynthetic so they get their nourishment from the actual lighting and from the water column.

I have had astounding growth with what i have so I don't plan on adding extra food to their diet as I am happy with them.

Some people do feed their corals though but thats another thread. LOL

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com