FOWLR and a few corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SharkMan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am looking at a 100 gallon tank with dual overflows, a large DIY sump, a 100-150 lbs of live rock, and a Berlin classic protein skimmer. Is it possible to maintain a FOWLR tank with a few soft corals? I would like to have some corals for colar and character. Any coments or advice? Thanks.

With the proper lighting and inhabitants I dont see why not.

I was looking at the orbit compact fluorescent light it is a 280 watt total output. I know its pretty low light but I can't aford metal halide.

I think that probably isnt enough lighting. Depending on how deep the tank is and where you place the corals though.

The tank is only 20" tall and I was thinking they could go towards the top of the tank. My main focus is fish but I would love to be able to add some color to the tank. Arn't there a few low light corals out there.

I am a little confused at how the WPG rule work. Couldn't I have even medium light corals towards the surface where the light is more intense, and low light corals lower in the tank? since the tank is only 20" tall 260 watts of light should be able to penitrate the water right? Please advise. Thanks.

My question is what type of fish are you looking to keep... the WPG will mean nothing if yoru going to keep coral eating fish..

The main fish that I want are a naso tang and a regal tang, a goby or two, and a few other peacful non coral eaing fish. I am also going to have a large filter system.

In my opinion, you need at least 450 - 500 watts of light. You might have a chance with VHOs. four 90-watt VHO fluorescent bulbs might cut it. But 2.8 watts per gallon may be a bit too weak.

Also, regarding the link, be careful with the carnation coral. Only a few dare on that one.

Tangs and stuff, I don't think you'd have a problem with them. Actually, you have a pretty good setup for a tang (or two). Gobies are cool.

good luck!

FWIW, FOWLR + a few corals = Reef....and thus starts the addiction. :)

As for WPG for lower light corals you would want 3-4 wpg. Most shrooms and leathers will do well. Take a look at "my info" most of the corals I have would do well under those conditions and are considered starter corals. Yes location of corals does matter, but you still need to have plenty of lighting to start with.

I would try to stick to one tang especially if going with a larger species like a Naso.

Good luck,

I have a carnation doing very well in my tank, they just like a some flow.

Back
Top Bottom